Wasp Nest advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
opened the loft yesterday to get the Xmas decorations downs & found the loft floor littered with dead wasps,& a huge wasp nest in the corner of the loft (about 2 or 3 ft sq) should i have this removed?? will it be used again if not removed?? (sorry dont know much about wasps!!)

Wasps may sting. Thats as much as I know. ;)

Pete

Wasps do not re-use their nests. You may want to remove the mess though (as you try to ease out the nest you will create even more mess). Time to hoist the hoover up into the loft methinks! You don't need to call in the professionals, there are not likely to be any live wasps left, except perhaps the odd hibernating queen. She won't bother you.

Pete said:
Wasps do not re-use their nests. You may want to remove the mess though (as you try to ease out the nest you will create even more mess). Time to hoist the hoover up into the loft methinks! You don't need to call in the professionals, there are not likely to be any live wasps left, except perhaps the odd hibernating queen. She won't bother you.

Don't bet on it. Depending on how cold it is/has been, a few (several dozen/hundred, may still be alive in a kind of slumber, and when distubed are angry and confused and will attack you.
If you decide to try to remove the nest yourself, get as large a plastic bin liner as you can, and try and break the nest off from where its attached to the wall/ceiling (if that is the case) and allow it to fall in the bag. Tie it up and burn it is probaby the best way to be rid iof it.
Make sure you are well covered, and wear some kind of mask/head covering to ensure you reduce the chance of a painful sting.

These sites may help

http://www.trapawasp.co.uk/about_wasps.htm
http://www.elmbridge.gov.uk/services/environment/bees.htm#wasp

domtyler

Über Member
I would personally just call someone to come and take care of it, why would you even bother to try this by yourself if you don't have to? Just give the council a ring.

Last year, I was aware of a strange buzzing sound when using the shower cubicle.
Then we realised that there were wasps coming-and-going from the extractor vent outlet - obviously they'd built a nest in the extractor pipe.

That's a particularly unpleasant idea, being naked in the shower and lots of angry wasps coming in through the vent...

We had some ant powder in the garage, so I went up the ladder with a towel round my head and puffed the ant powder over the vent - the container said that the idea with ants is that you put it at the entrance to the anthill, the ants walk through it and it sticks to them, they carry it into the nest - I reckoned it would have the same effect as the wasps landed on the vent grille.
Despite me being up a ladder next to the vent and puffing this stuff about, the wasps didn't bother me at all, no attempt to attack me.
And a couple of days later they'd stopped coming and going.

Except that we then became aware a week or so later that they - or another lot - were nesting in the roof, coming and going through the soffit. So repeated same ant powder trick, again they went away/died off.
Job done, I forgot about this until we had a bloke doing a bit of pointing and tile-fixing on the roof. Suddenly there was all sorts of loud panicky swearing and he came clattering down his ladder - apparently had removed a tile and come face-to-face with the waspnest, not realised it was a 'dead' one, throught he was going to get a faceful of wasps...

col

Legendary Member
I had one in the shed when we first moved into our house,they were coming and going through the roof join on the top of the wall,I blocked the hole,and emptied a can of fly spray into the nest and shed,shut the door and left it for a couple of day.Just had to remove it and bin it.

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
Im not brave enought to remove my nest,My brother had an active wasp nest in his garden a few years ago,When he found out it would cost £50 to remove it,He shut it on an old siutcase & took it to the dump!!! Cam imagine a council worker opening the case to look inside!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fecking hell! A suitcase full of angry wasps!

My son got stung on the arm by a wasp a few years ago so I thought I'd try a trick I'd seen in South Africa. I got an old syringe and put the nozzle right over the tiny puncture hole and withdrew the plunger. The white lump disappeared and the pain vanished - seconds later I had one happy little boy and a relieved mum. I was a hero for a few minutes!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Tetedelacourse said:
Put Bombtrack on and get a lighter and a can of deodorant and enjoy the show.

Better still: "The End" by The Doors. Pour petrol over the nest and stand back to watch. Do remove the nest from your roof first though, obviously.

Top Bottom