Wasps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
miloat said:
I think there is a certain time of year when they get drunk on something in the air or sumit.
Could well be a legend though.
It's Waggle Dance beer!

mr Mag00

rising member
saddened by the approach to nature and all its magnificence.;)
when you are all being bitten on summer evenings by midges and mosquitoes, just think back to this moment. wasps are excellent at keeping down biting insects in the garden. yes that can become pests in the autumn as their prey get harder find which is why they turn to rotting fruit.

perhaps car drivers feel the same way about cyclists on the road as they perceive it as their space, the same way some of you clearly do about your space. I know this wont change your attitude, but i just had to have my say.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

mr Mag00 said:
when you are all being bitten on summer evenings by midges and mosquitoes, just think back to this moment. wasps are excellent at keeping down biting insects in the garden. yes that can become pests in the autumn as their prey get harder find which is why they turn to rotting fruit.

perhaps car drivers feel the same way about cyclists on the road as they perceive it as their space, the same way some of you clearly do about your space. I know this wont change your attitude, but i just had to have my say.

Who needs wasps to keep the insects down? just get one of these http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/gbu0-prodshow/MOSKILL.html

And I wouldn't mind sharing 'my space' with them, but they didn't ask... and I'm sure when I went into my shed everyday to put my bike away they wouldn't think twice about stinging me for then going into what they would perceve as 'their space'

Alan Biles

A friend of mine used to keep bees and as a side-line sorted out wasp nests. Just the dust the outside of the nest with Nippon ant powder. Works a treat as they carry it into the nest on their wasp tootsies and it kills the bleedin' lot of 'em!

The last couple of summers we've had them set up a nest in the attic and just a squirt of ant powder around the hole where they're getting in is enough to sort them.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
mr Mag00 said:

I agree with Mr Magoo - I find it sad that wasps and bees are so vilified :evil:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
apparently wasp nests are good for fishing with (a colleague of my wife's came and removed one from our shed for such a purpose).

i've also heard that if you squash a wasp, it releases a pheromone which attracts other wasps.

Top Bottom