http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-24450642

• Yes - completely. The money sould be used to reduce Council Tax

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • No - TdF is a once in a lifetime event to host

Votes: 35 79.5%
  • Yes - The money shold be used to keep existing sports vacilities open

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think its a waste if it brings extra revenue to the area and promotes cycling in the UK.

To judge from the state of the roads in Sheffield during a recent criterium, they're going to have to slap down a big load of tarmac anyway. This will benefit local road users at least.
OT, there was a significant pothole outside a major building in Dublin for years; when the city hosted Velo City, it and other potholes were fixed overnight :rolleyes:

Koga

Long term benefits for the city are increased (tourist) industry. This will generate local business rates (ie council tax for businesses), reduce unemployment etc. Obviously the council estimates that the overall long term gain will be greater than £1M and it probably will be.
A couple of years ago I spent a weekend in Sheffield (before I took up road cycling) and to me it appears an excellent location for a short cycling break.

Last edited:
I would hope that any additional money made from the tour would go directly back into the area to support sports and recreational facilities.

it may even generate enough cash to re-open the stadium and leisure centre, unless of course the developers get their mits on the land and build some nice new 4-5 bedroom homes on it instead.

BikeLiker

I know mine is a minority opinion but I don't think government should be involved in sport at all, including the TdF or the Olympics. I fund my kayaking and cycling and the clubs I belong to use my subscriptions to fund activities. I don't expect or receive financial contributions from other people and I don't think anyone should. Government is imperfect in conducting its core business and doesn't need further distraction. Public money is spent so the great and the good can get sozzled at champagne receptions and impress their freinds. The laughable report on the financial benefits of the 2012 Olympics just confirms this.

Having recently seen my Local Authority spend almost a million quid on a huge TV screen for the Trent Bridge cricket ground, despite a lot of public opposition in this time of austerity. The big screen allowed The Ashes to come to Nottingham and attracted a lot of outside money and investment because of it.

I think it is a good investment.

BikeLiker

...and attracted a lot of outside money and investment because of it.

That's the bit I find hard to believe - especially when alternative investments are considered. What sort of business man invests in a area because it's been on telly or whatever? When my LA hosted The Open a few years ago a main road and train line were closed for a week, a load of bars opened then closed and the pavements were cobbled to look nice. The cobbles have now been dug up because they were treacherous in wet weather. I can't think of a single business in the area which benefited after the event. People from outside the area came in, rode roughshod over locals whilst making £££ then high-tailed it.

Koga

That's the bit I find hard to believe - especially when alternative investments are considered. What sort of business man invests in a area because it's been on telly or whatever? When my LA hosted The Open a few years ago a main road and train line were closed for a week, a load of bars opened then closed and the pavements were cobbled to look nice. The cobbles have now been dug up because they were treacherous in wet weather. I can't think of a single business in the area which benefited after the event. People from outside the area came in, rode roughshod over locals whilst making £££ then high-tailed it.
See my response above, it may explain it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Anybody who can't se how cities benefit from this kind of event obviously hasn't visited London in the last couple of years. The city is absolutely hopping with money, brains and expertise - it's on a different level to the rest of the UK. No wonder half a million French people have moved there, not to mention all the other nationalities.

Top Bottom