Watch your back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grendel

Veteran
According to the Times spinal injuries are on the increase amongst the off road cycling fraternity.:cheers:

Typical twat first response there as well.:tongue:

Mr Pig

It's not surprising. I think off road cycling is far more dangerous that a lot of people realise. Being cursed with a vivid imagination, I often think about what would happen if I fell off so I tend to ride rather slowly! ;0)

GilesM

Legendary Member
Obviously it can be dangerous, but it's lots of fun, and helps stop all of the pies and beer I consume turning into lard on my body.

More interestingly is the place they refer to, I couldn't find 7stanes anywhere.

U

User482

Mr Pig said:
It's not surprising. I think off road cycling is far more dangerous that a lot of people realise. Being cursed with a vivid imagination, I often think about what would happen if I fell off so I tend to ride rather slowly! ;0)

It's become more dangerous - advances in technology meant that you can go faster over more challenging terrain than ever before. So when you do fall off, it's going to hurt.

Having broken a few bones mountain biking and none (so far) while cycling on the road I would concur that it's more dangerous. But I have serious doubts about the number of injuries since 2004, 120 seems very low. I guess that's reported injuries that have required hospitalization, but of the 1000's of riders who hit the trails in Scotland every year I would have guessed more injuries.

As for protection I always where a full pressure suit when downhilling, full face lid and shin guards.

661PressureSuitBack.jpg

Some folks don't realize that downhill mountain biking is akin to downhill skiing, but without the soft snow to land on. Just the bare rocks to hit when you crash doing 40mph.

GilesM

Legendary Member
marzjennings said:
But I have serious doubts about the number of injuries since 2004, 120 seems very low. I guess that's reported injuries that have required hospitalization, but of the 1000's of riders who hit the trails in Scotland every year I would have guessed more injuries.

There's often an ambulance at Glentress at the weekends, but less so at Innerleithen, even when the uplift is running, I think this is due to the experience level of the people at the different locations and many of the injuries at Glentress seem to be related to the free ride area which is very easy to get to the top of, even for the most inexperienced rider.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
It's slightly worrying that the H&S folk are taking an interest in MTB.

Yes it's inherently dangerous if you ride technical descents, it has to be where speed and rocks are combined.

It's certainly important to know your limits and protect yourself where you can, but it would be tragic is the sport were to be wrapped in cotton wool like so much else in society......

Uncle Mort said:
Going a bit OT, I've never done downhilling, but I'd like to wear something that makes me look a bit like a teenage ninja hero turtle! Cool - how much does it costs though marz?

chainreaction have them on sale for ₤92, which is cheaper than I paid for mine a couple of years ago

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24905

Having hit a free trees and rocks, the arm and shoulder protection easily pay for themselves in just a few rides.

Mr Pig

User482 said:
advances in technology meant that you can go faster over more challenging terrain

I reckon there's something in that. The bikes we had when we were young were not up to the kind of abuse even a cheap MTB can take today. I also don't think that people are very good at assessing the risks.

Some of the trails at these bike centres are crazy though. Platforms high up in the air with nothing on the ground to break your fall but piles of logs! And some of the jumps! We thought we were doing well with a plank of wood and a few bricks!

Jonathan M

marzjennings said:
chainreaction have them on sale for ₤92, which is cheaper than I paid for mine a couple of years ago

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24905

Having hit a free trees and rocks, the arm and shoulder protection easily pay for themselves in just a few rides.

Is the spinal protection really going to make a difference in a high speed over the bars, where the first point of contact back to earth is the riders helmet? I'd have thought that nature of injury would be very difficult to protect against regardless of armour worn.

I wouldn't worry too much about the H&S tribes yet, mountain biking still features in the minority of mountain rescue call outs.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/8192732.stm
"the group leader had been led off Scafell Pike in a similar incident last year". Makes you wonder how that bloke stayed in a job, doesn't it? Knob.

Jonathan M said:
Is the spinal protection really going to make a difference in a high speed over the bars, where the first point of contact back to earth is the riders helmet? I'd have thought that nature of injury would be very difficult to protect against regardless of armour worn.

No that's true, that's why some folks wear a leatt brace...

froneckprotect_012008_04.jpg

Attachments

• froneckprotect_012008_04.jpg
    froneckprotect_012008_04.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 29

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
marzjennings said:
As for protection I always where a full pressure suit when downhilling, full face lid and shin guards.

MTB riders aren't 'ard enough...sheesh never make it as a roadie...;) :biggrin:

PS I'm not very qick down hill, but that might be to do with my rigid MTB as well as a desire not to smash myself up, as MTB'ing is fun for me, road bikes are the serious stuff...

Back to the OP - not surprised either, but the figures sound low given the popularity of MTB'ing.

Top Bottom