Watch your back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
40 MPH, on rocks, on a bike......nuts, oh hazel nuts..... :smile:

Uphill..yeh !!!!

GilesM

Legendary Member
marzjennings said:
Yes and I'll take a 40mph tumble on snow over a 40mph wreck on rocks any day.

Have you downhilled?

I quite agree, I took my girlfriend to Glentress for the first time last year, her first comment was, if I fall skiing, I land on smooth snow, if I fall here, it will be on rocks. Rocks hurt even at low speeds.

Jonathan M

marzjennings said:
No that's true, that's why some folks wear a leatt brace...

froneckprotect_012008_04.jpg

Wow, it'll be Formula 1 style neck braces yet! Do some of the downhillers seriously wear such a brace?

Attachments

• froneckprotect_012008_04.jpg
    froneckprotect_012008_04.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 28

lukesdad

This is all very good,but I need armour for the nose Ive just broken riding the raven at brechfa last weekend ive never known the trail to be so hard and fast fun though.

lukesdad

Panter said:
Ouch :biggrin: Get well soon.

I've never ridden the Raven, is that the new one?

Thanks. Lucky it was only mey nose still riding. The raven has been in existance a couple of years now. Probably the most technically dificult trail in wales in my opinion not a fast flowing track like the gorlech.

well worth a visit ride the derwen blue as a warm up first that does flow and super fast.

02GF74

Über Member
i blame disc brakes. :biggrin: .... suspension and better brakes means that it is easier and feel safer to go faster downhill. nearly all the times I've come off was due to braking.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
lukesdad said:
Thanks. Lucky it was only mey nose still riding. The raven has been in existance a couple of years now. Probably the most technically dificult trail in wales in my opinion not a fast flowing track like the gorlech.

well worth a visit ride the derwen blue as a warm up first that does flow and super fast.

Thanks for that, the raven is the one I was thinking of.

I haven't been to brechfa for a couple of Years and i'm sure it was the one being talked about then as a future route.

lukesdad

There s a link between the raven and gorlech routes out on the trail to mke it a real epic and there s anew car park acouple of miles towards brechfa village from abergorlech for the raven and derwen trails even gota portaloo!

Norm

marzjennings said:
But I have serious doubts about the number of injuries since 2004, 120 seems very low. I guess that's reported injuries that have required hospitalization, but of the 1000's of riders who hit the trails in Scotland every year I would have guessed more injuries.
I was thinking the same, as that is only 24 a year. Then again, as with all stats, they are badly reported and that could be just the number seen in that one hospital.

I've a friend paralysed from falling off going over a root on a flat area of heath in Hampshire. You don't need a down hill or rocks to damage yourself quite badly.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Norm said:
I've a friend paralysed from falling off going over a root on a flat area of heath in Hampshire. You don't need a down hill or rocks to damage yourself quite badly.

Don't put thoughts like that in my mind, heading out to play tomorrow and I prefer an empty head for the descents.

Norm

Keep it from your mind, chap. It could happen any where at any time, bike, car, home, office, whatever.

I've another friend who was hospitalised for months when he mashed his right leg falling off his bike when stationary.

Mind you, that was partly self-inflicted as he would have been able to get his feet out of the clips if he wasn't, as Dr Spooner may have said, as kissed as a punt. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom