Watching Cycling is Boring...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
That's not what he is really saying, and if it was, I couldn't disagree more as I find it fascinating. Track racing is almost as good, and I did my accreditation at the Chris Hoy stadium in Glasgow to just get a shot on the track, loved it.

Very interesting article, with some good insights, he speaks well.

dmartin98

I’d say it’s the opposite in the last couple of years. Younger riders like Evenepoel and Pogacar are way more aggressive and launch further out than the Sky TdF rinse and repeat train of the 20teens. Even WVA’s win on stage 3 of the tour this year…when was the last time you saw the yellow jersey go full gas on a kicker climb to solo win on a ‘sprint’ stage?

scragend

I wish I understood the intricacies of road racing, but I just don't seem to be able to get it.

So I just watch it for the scenery :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For some 'non-boring' cycling, Red Bull Rampage is on tonight from 5:30pm. Use the Red Bull app - it's free.

For those without a clue, it's where a group of nutters jump off the side of ravines in Utar and do 'stunts' - they get to build their own track that ends at a 'finish line' - so each rider uses a different 'course' and the one with the best 'stunts/jumps' wins.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Track racing I find covers the extremes entertainment-wise. Some of it I find a bit dull but others like the elimination, points and Madison - especially the Madison - I really find completely fascinating.

One question that always bugs me is about "gaining a lap" - say in the Madison. The races I watch have the top riders riding in a highly disciplined manner and there is generally a well defined "bunch" so it is clear when someone has successfully gained a lap on the field. But surely it doesn't have to be that way - and the bunch could get so impossibly smeared out that it all becomes meaningless. Does that happen? Esp in non top-tier races. Being a trackside official for something like this must be an impossibly hard job.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
For some 'non-boring' cycling, Red Bull Rampage is on tonight from 5:30pm. Use the Red Bull app - it's free.

For those without a clue, it's where a group of nutters jump off the side of ravines in Utar and do 'stunts' - they get to build their own track that ends at a 'finish line' - so each rider uses a different 'course' and the one with the best 'stunts/jumps' wins.
Busy washing my hair 🙄

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I wish I understood the intricacies of road racing, but I just don't seem to be able to get it.

So I just watch it for the scenery :blush:
I suggest you have the commentary turned up and Sir Carlton will also inform you of the culinary delights of each region they pass through.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I had no interest in cycle races until the 2014 TdF in Yorkshire when I had the most fantastic day in Hawes. Basically a community event rather than the sport but brilliant none the less. Since then have slowly developed an understanding and now enjoy the highlights of the grand tours. Even then I often fast forward especially if it’s Carlton commentating!

Top Bottom