Water and the cold?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
We all know that water freezes with the cold weather, but has anyone had any experience of their water bottle freezing?
Also, has anyone replaced their water bottle with a flask?

I ask these questions because I am mighty :cold: and my water is getting very cold also.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yep, happen's a lot.
Turn's into a bit of a slush ice.
Not used a flask... but supposed it could work if you found one that would fit into your bottle holder.

potsy

Rambler
I take a flask on winter leisure rides, fits in the cage with a sock round it to stop the rattle just like Jo's post above :thumbsup:
Nice to have a sit in Tatton park or part of the Trans Penine trail with a coffee :cuppa:

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had a number of occasions where the water bottle's frozen over the years, as others have said it normally turns to slush, but I've had a couple of occasions where its frozen solid, I've had to take it of the bike when I've got home and stand it in the kitchen to thaw out.
I've never tried a flask though.

Crankarm

Guru
We all know that water freezes with the cold weather, but has anyone had any experience of their water bottle freezing?
Also, has anyone replaced their water bottle with a flask?

I ask these questions because I am mighty :cold: and my water is getting very cold also.

Not specifically water bottle but I have had other things freeze ...............

Keep your bottle in your pannier is the answer.

The other thing Matthew, I still have this nagging feeling that you are a troll, but a benign troll.

Yes - frequently especially last year on tour. Avoid metal bottles (goes without saying) and whilst it may seem really obvious when pointed out, camelback do and insulated cycling water bottle that really does work and I don't mean a sleeve. In summer it keeps the water cooler and in winter it takes much, much more for the water to freeze and you don't have to set out with warm water in the bottle in winter to stop it freezing. These are the ones we have been using for years and the only time they have frozen is when they have been left out overnight and it has really been seriously cold... even at -15C in Turkey they had not frozen by lunchtime, though the water does get a little colder in those temps

http://shop.camelbak.com/podium-chill-21oz/d/1036_cl_414

periodically we buy the identical non-insulated bottle and swap the lids over when they wear out (think years).

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I always keep a water bottle in my car too and sometimes, when I get into the car in the morning, the water bottle is frozen. My car stay outside at night, after all, the garage is to keep the bike in, isn't it?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Used to have frozen bottle problem regularly when out training in Jan/ Feb (even when it wasn't that cold- just below freezing)

And I have a great flask that fits into my bottle cage. Just luck, I didn't buy it for that reason.

Top Bottom