Water Bottle Placement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TechMech

I've tried searching the forums for this, but came up with nothing (maybe I'm putting in the wrong words?)

Anyway, I was wondering if you must take a water bottle on a bike and you want it to be as aero as possible, what would be the best place to put it?

A) On the down tube, so that it's kinda pointing into the air flow
B) On the seat post, so that it's standing vertical and the air can break around the round face
C) It doesn't really matter

Dave 123

Legendary Member
c

Eddie

Looking at time trial bikes, which is the only time that aero would make a big difference, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've seen the bottle in both positions. Although I've sometimes seen bottles mounted on the saddle - no idea if this is for aero reasons.

I've tried searching the forums for this, but came up with nothing (maybe I'm putting in the wrong words?)

Anyway, I was wondering if you must take a water bottle on a bike and you want it to be as aero as possible, what would be the best place to put it?

A) On the down tube, so that it's kinda pointing into the air flow
B) On the seat post, so that it's standing vertical and the air can break around the round face
C) It doesn't really matter

you have too much time on your hands...

wealthysoup

If I'm using one bottle it goes on the down tube as I can access it easier from there on the move; I doubt it makes much difference to the aerodynamics other than I have to sit up more and fidget more if its on the seat tube.

I'm the exact opposite of this, to the extent that if I have 2 bottles I will swap the empty and full one round if I'm stopped (one I drink from stays on the seat tube)

Edit: if I had to choose I would say the down tube position would be more aerodynamic, although, really I don't think it would make any measurable difference

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
The words "truly clutching at straws" comes to mind.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
E) Behind the saddle or in a special bottle designed to fit your specific frame.

But its a ridiculous endeavour as the difference will be so marginal, that someone who spends much time thinking about these kind of things and searching internet forums for the answers will never take advantage off, including myself!

Top Bottom