Water bottles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grand Primo

BITD, I put a sandwich and a can of coke in the saddlebag. Now we are all taught to drink a bottle an hour while riding. Neither of my old bikes (Pennine and Carlton Ten) is drilled for water bottle cages. I bought bolt-on cages for the handlebars but they squeak, are fragile and the bottles fall out at bumps. Any better ideas?

theloafer

Legendary Member

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I sometimes use an insulated MOLLE bottle bag with its two straps either side of the brake lever. Other times, I put the bottle in a handlebar bag.

I tried a cage on the handlebars but it looked rather wrong.

Drago

Legendary Member
A typical adult needs 750-1000cc an hour when exerting themselves, so a bottle an hour is about right.

What about one of those seat mounted jobs, or defy fashion and wear a hydration pack?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If I'm touring I find it very difficult to cycle past a pub that is open without stopping for a 'half' :whistle:
Its isotonic too. :cheers:

drummerbod

Bottle an hour? That's a braod statement dependant on too many factors. I would only expect that if ambient temp was 25c and I was cycling non-stop and pushing myself to the limit.

BITD, I put a sandwich and a can of coke in the saddlebag. Now we are all taught to drink a bottle an hour while riding. Neither of my old bikes (Pennine and Carlton Ten) is drilled for water bottle cages. I bought bolt-on cages for the handlebars but they squeak, are fragile and the bottles fall out at bumps. Any better ideas?
Have someone drill your frames for bottle cages. It is a simple process and is no different from a factory job. They will fit something called Rivnuts and then you can fit standard bottle cages in there.
As for the "conventional wisdom" of drinking a bottle an hour. That's now considered poor advice and you should drink according to thirst. If you are interested in this, look up Tim Noakes and Waterlogged. He's an on endurance sport and has studied the drinking problem (not my type of drinking problem though) extensively.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've tried bottle cages under the saddle and they bounce out so went back to handlebar mounted. At least I can see them making a bid for freedom. I've recently angled the cage so that the bottom of the bottle is nearer me than the spout (if that makes sense) it seems to have worked but I've also gone to 500ml bottles. They seem to stay put.

I used to take out 2 large bottles and would struggle to drink it all. Yesterday I went out for a long ride (85 miles) I took two 750ml bottles out. It was hot, I rode over shap and kirkstone pass. I stopped twice once for a sandwich and i drank a 500ml bottle of bought water, I had a swift pint about ten miles from home. I actual brought back half a bottle of water. Neither of them had been refilled.
I'm not dead, i didn't have a raging thirst. If I needed it I'd drink it.

contadino

Veteran
I have a pair of bosses for a single bottle. I carry a 600ml bottle and stop at bars for a coffee and a fizzy pop every 30km and they'll refill my bottle. Even when the temperature is in the high 30s that seems to do me.

I'm watching some velo orange stainless steel cage straps on eBay at the moment but I unless I really need them I'll try to avoid putting a second bottle on the bike as it starts to looks a bit fugly. I may try a 1ltr bottle first.

ETA: I should add that I have a terrible track record when it comes to dehydration and sunstroke.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grand Primo

Grand Primo

Many thanks for all those replies. Next month I'm doing Retro Ronde in Belgium then L'Eroica Britannia on the Pennine. It's a lovely bike to ride. If I ever get it restored, it will be a tough decision whether to drill the frame for cages and add pump pegs or leave original.

Top Bottom