Water dripping in footwell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Bodywork is my business and that is very seldom he problem for water dripping on your feet, door deals may allow the water to run down behind the deal and run over the top of the sill behind the inner will trim.
I bow to superior knowledge.

Peace.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I suggest you have your windshield (you folks call it windscreen) checked for leaks. I got in the car a couple weeks ago and the part of the roof between the sunroof and windshield was wet and water had collected in the passenger side footwell. My first thought was the sunroof. Mine has all sorts of fancy stuff in there like water lines to take the water away. I figured those lines might be clogged. Took it to the dealer who unclogged the lines. The next time it rained I had the same amount of water in the car. Took it back and they did a more thorough test. Turned out the sealant around the windshield had deteriorated and was leaking. They had to take the entire windshield our and then resealed the entire thing. Picked it up tonight. I won't know if it's fixed until the next good rain.

screenman

Legendary Member
If it has ever had a windscreen fitted that would be the first place I would look, the other area I would be checking is the scuttle for any blocked drains if it has one.

Drago

Legendary Member
As a point of order, doors have welts (usually Japanese manufacturers) or weatherstrips (pretty much everyone else). Ask for a seal and you'll get a large aquatic mammal with a ball balanced on it's nose!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My Dad's Cortina leaked into the footwell, mainly due to a water trap in the bulkhead finally rusting through. Probably wasn't helped when the car took an unexpected swim in a river once (before he got hold of it).
Doubt it would be the same problem, though.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If it has ever had a windscreen fitted that would be the first place I would look,
If it has NEVER had a windscreen fitted, that is the first place I would look!
Seriously though.... I stopped buying VW's after owning 4 Golfs, a Polo, and a Jetta. Most of them leaked through the door skin seals (not the actual rubber seals round the doors, but the internal thing behind the door panel holding the window winder motors - not sure of the proper name). On the earlier Golfs it was an easy fix with silicon, but the later models with electric windows were more complicated.

OP
OP
O

oldworld

Update.
Today I popped the bonnet and cleared what few leaves were there. Not much build up that I could see.
My wife said we should run the air con as she did briefly turn it on yesterday to demist the screen.
We tried this and saw water dripping from under the dash.
We then turned it off and the dripping stopped. I though we'd found the problem but to be certain I tried just using the fan without the air con running. The drip returned! I'm now totally confused as it was a dry day.
I guess it's a visit to the garage next.:sad:

Top Bottom