Water meter woes you’ll find shocking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've never understood rates to be honest. I am charged £15/month for water, which seems very cheap. There is a meter in the road but I've never been asked to check it, nor seen anyone checking it. So I guess I'm on rates, at the lower end because we use so little?? However, my parnter's property is charged £180/month. They said some crap about "becasue there was a pond, it's to do with your water run-off". Even though the pond is long-gone, and she never had to fill it so there were no leaks. I've been trying to get her to argue it for years but she has given up.

Buck

Guru
We should all be on water meters - pay for what you use. The old rateable value is out of date and needs to change.
Friend isn't on a water meter so sees water as free with no consequence. On a meter at least you are minded to think of the usage and cost.

FWIW we pay approx £110 per quarter for 3 of us. Mind you it'd be more if I could get the youngest to shower more frequently !!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It's a form of water rates based upon the council tax valuation of your house. Not really sensible on any level.

Sensible from my point of view as I do not pay excessive amounts and know in advance how much I pay.
Not sure there is too much difference in cost depending on rateable value.

I think theres three parts to our bill.

Standing charge for Fresh water and then the amount we use.
Standing charge for Waste water. and then removing the amount of water we used.
Standing charge for removing rainwater.
The usage is the bigger part .

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I'm just in the process of getting one fitted, not the thread I wanted to see!!
My water rates seem very high to me at £55 per month which is why I've opted for a meter, and with 2 years to change my mind it seemed a no-brainer.

We switched to a meter (two people, in 4 bedroom detached house).

Doing so cut our water-bill by two thirds, we currently pay £18/month (Northumbria Water).

I hesitate to say this, fingers firmly crossed, but, the whole experience was painless and has been so for the past 8 years. ;)

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I will look again but with some hot soapy water. I can see this shape but the numbers must be covered in dirt.
IMG_2493.jpeg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To be honest, if you are paying £40 or more in a large house, even with four adults, it would be cheaper on a meter. Might not be with two mucky young kids and the washer on multiple times a day, and constant toilet flushing.

classic33

Leg End Member
Three "boxes" on the digital display.
Top one showing an "M" and "Q" with writing above and below it. Four "dots" in the second box obscure whatever's below/behind them.

To be honest, if you are paying £40 or more in a large house, even with four adults, it would be cheaper on a meter. Might not be with two mucky young kids and the washer on multiple times a day, and constant toilet flushing.

I think it depends on the area. Our usage is in line with just having two people in the house but it's still about £36 a month.

.When we got our meter they told us to try it and if it's more expensive then it can be taken out again in the first two years. So at least you shouldn't lose out.

Top Bottom