Water meter woes you’ll find shocking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I will look again but with some hot soapy water. I can see this shape but the numbers must be covered in dirt.
View attachment 702073

They are tricky to see. Mine is at a weird angle in the far corner of the garage.

I put my phone camera onto video and zoom and wave it slowly in the direction of the red numbers.

Then I can aslow Mo it to see the figures.

Our old house never had a meter but the water Co had to put a stopcock in the rear alleyway. They bodged the job and it's lower than the surrounding area. Result is the rain washed gravel into it, no idea where the gravel comes from it's earth with tarmac around the meter cavity lid.

Anyway we forced them to sort it then moved to a new house. The new house had a meter. We got a £15 a month for 2 adults and a child. It recently went up to £22. My parents, 2 adults in a large house, get charged £35 a month and was amazed at how low ours was. Led to my mum asking if we were having enough showers! We aren't wasteful or meagre in our use, just average to just below I reckon.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
They are tricky to see. Mine is at a weird angle in the far corner of the garage.

I put my phone camera onto video and zoom and wave it slowly in the direction of the red numbers.

Then I can aslow Mo it to see the figures.

Cleaned it all and there’s a little plastic needle that moves from side to side but no numbers can be found even with better lighting. Leave it for the water board. If they need to put something long down though the conifer could be in the way then.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
That’s your number / meter reading there.

I’ve looked at the neighbours ones at the side but can’t see any numbers. Wiped mine down. Should I spray the hose pipe on it and take a close photo?
It’s very annoying.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cleaned it all and there’s a little plastic needle that moves from side to side but no numbers can be found even with better lighting. Leave it for the water board. If they need to put something long down though the conifer could be in the way then.
See Buck's post, previous page, on where to take your reading from.

I’ve looked at the neighbours ones at the side but can’t see any numbers. Wiped mine down. Should I spray the hose pipe on it and take a close photo?
It’s very annoying.
This is mine. If you're not dead straight on you can't see the numbers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-10-23-55-23-47_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-10-23-55-23-47_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 16

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Blimey. On a meter we pay £36 for the two of us.

Ours is £30 for 2 of us
When we turn on the kitchen sink for hot water we run it into an empty 4 pint milk container before it runs warm to save waste and then use the saved water to put in the kettle or for back flushing big number 2's 😁

When we moved to our bungalow six year's ago they already had a water meter fitted.
They read it every six months and I'm pleased to say I'm paying half of what I paid in the previous house.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
They fitted a water meter at my Mum's house about three years ago. I installed a couple of water butts for watering the garden. Then last year they revealed that they hadn't fitted a water meter and she was still paying rates. Seems communication isn't their strong point.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
They finally arrived and more conifer was cut. He said the battery has been dead for 3 years and don’t ever trust @£””@£?!er Water. Brilliant guy. So he has to come back for another reading soon. Then we should be getting a rebate of 3 years over pay. He said they’ll check every 12 months so don’t let your neighbours conifer grow too much. The house building company put my meter in his front garden and the developers also planted the stuff that’s now massive. Absolutely stupid I bet they don’t get these problems in places like Rwanda.

Top Bottom