water

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The amount of liquid you need to drink depends on the individual, for an example on a 50 mile ride, I tend not to drink anything from my water bottles, mainly because before setting off I like my 2 cups of tea, and at the end of my 50 miles I am in a cafe having a nice cup of tea and a piece of cake. Whereas my Partner will have drunk both bottles and wanting to take a swig from one of mine. Thus its always hard to recommend what is a good amount of liquid to drink. I would add that temperature does play a part in ones requirements. When i did my trip through South East Asia, I was drinking about 2 gallons a day which included water, tea and sports drinks.

tournut

Out on Friday and I did 27.5 miles with not a drop touched. A bit like howdenbiker I always have the thought of trying to hurriedly wrestle out of my bib tights if I drink too much!!.

I do carry one bottle of weak diluting juice at this time of year, although on Friday a flask of tea would have been more welcome. In the warmer weather I add a little salt to the juice to replace electrolytes lost through sweating
Carnt beat tea. Small flask

jay clock

Massive member
Doing an Ironman of 180k in 40 degrees last year I guzzled about 10-15 litre plus stuck my head in a fountain. At the opposite extreme yesterday I did a chilly 2:30 and drank about 200ml. For rides up to 2:30 I have water - above that I have a snack and/or energy drink

screenman

Legendary Member
"Humans evolved doing intense exercise in extreme heat and dryness. We are able to tolerate losses in water relatively well whereas even slight over hydration can be far more dangerous. In simple terms, being too watery is as bad for you.

twitchboy

Regular
Contrary to popular belief, the body is at its most efficient when it's a little dehydrated. Dehydration is not the monster it is often portrayed as.

You should not drink water before you need to. This can cause fluctuations in the electrolytes which can sometimes be fatal.

Only drink when you are genuinely thirsty. Drink slowly and stop when the thirst has subsided. Being a little dehydrated is far safer that being hospitalised for water intoxication. Just ask the actor Anthony Andrews.

runner

Guru
i drink very little this time of year...I feel that if I did and with all that cold weather I would be looking for the toilet on a regular basis:rolleyes: When I get home I consume lots of tea and copious jaffa cakes

Everyone is different. I drank 3 litres yesterday on a 100 km run, others drank a litre. Nothing unusual in that, nothing alarming, just different

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I never seem to take a drink while riding.

Only in really, hot weather, like when its in the late 20's. I don't carry a bidon on my commute and haven't for years, so that used to be 40 miles a day without a drink, nowadays it's only 20 miles.

I thought cramps were from lack of salt?

I aim for 1 x 750 ml bottle for every hour on the bike, but a pee stop is usually necessary for longer rides.

As others have said, cramp is probably down to over exercise (not used to long distance), I learnt this by pushing a newbie friend too hard, now he won't ride with me anymore! :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
It is is sometimes about not being fit enough to carry out the task, regardless of fitness, which just changes the level of the task.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Water????? Are you mad?

Take coffee and you can pour it on the effected parts to relieve the cramp.

IMG_1201.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom