"Waterproof" clothing - am I expecting too much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
All waterproofs keep water in, aka sweat. When they talk about breathable they mean in vapour form. Once water has condensed out the air, or sweat on the skin it has nowhere to go. The high humidity that waterproofs cause within leads to a lot of vapour condensing out the air, and once liquid it’s not going anywhere due to that waterproof barrier. You’ll often end up wetter than the amount of rain that could have got in.

If you wear work clothes during commute then get a cape. If you don’t wear work clothes during commute then get a base, insulation, and outer windproof layer that’ll keep you more comfortable than a waterproof and no wetter, and often drier in reality as liquid water and sweat can get out and away from the inner layers. Your skin does not care about moisture in outer layers.

Last edited:
strange,I've been using my jacket for years. On a long commute initially, then on a shortish commute. Also on longer cycling trips.
Despite the daily usage in winter and sparse use in warmer weather I've never had an issue.
How old is the one you bought?
Is it maintained correctly?
What did you pay? Why off amazon, opposed to the distributor who has sales where they can be had reasonably.???
Some showers pass clothing is not sold as water proof but shower proof,perhaps you bought the wrong jacket.
They did offer a guarantee so returning it if it failed to keep you dry is poss.
in view of my experience I look forward to hearing more.

IIRC, I bought it about 4 years ago then didn't wear it for a long while, I didn't consider returning it. It was definitely sold as waterproof, the reviews were stellar. The jacket it replaced was everything one could wish for in a waterproof and I wish I knew what happened to it.

I have only worn it a handful of times so it hasn't worn out, the first time I wore it my arms were wet within seconds. It does keep most of my back dryish for a while but the front leaks terribly. I shall dig it out of storage and examine the label to see what it promises.

Just looked it up on Amazon, I paid $292...Holy Ship!!!!! Return window closed on Oct 16, 2020. Now I'm upset!

If I buy another waterproof it will probably be a cotton duck cape, I recently discovered PFAS so won't be buying anymore Gortex etc'.

Top Bottom