"Waterproof" clothing - am I expecting too much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I have always sweated quite a lot with even very moderate exertion, so I have never found anything that will keep me dry on a bike - if it keeps the rain out, I get just as wet from sweat.

So always just ride in my normal cycling kit, and dry off at the end of the ride. But I am lucky in that there are showers in my office, so I shower and change when I get there on a commute, regardless of weather.

If there weren't any showering facilities, I don't think I could commute to work by bike (it is 15 miles each way, with hills, so I can't just ride at a very slow pace).

Juliansou

Have a look at these for your legs anyway - I got mine from Amazon (about £25?) they work surprisingly well and fold away quickly for when your off the bike.
https://road.cc/content/review/56364-rainlegs-wind-and-waterproof-leg-covers

Good morning,

If it is raining when I leave I approach things in a different way and if it is dry and starts to rain I simply get soaked.

On a Monday I take enough clothing in for the week in a rucksack, this is a slight simplification as I might put some more socks etc. in my jacket during the week and shirt in the bottle holder.

So I ride in cycling clothes except when its wet when I put the cycling clothes in a rucksack and ride in shorts and cheap and chearful "boil in bag" type of waterproofs, no jersey or socks.

There is no shower at work but we do have enough room in one off the toilets for a good flannel wash down. There is not much difference in sweatyness between wet and dry weather clothing as my legs don't sweat much and I tend to ride with the jacket partially unzipped.

The main downside is that the shoes don't normally dry out during the day.

Bye

Ian

Does the jacket have a protected zip ? One outer flap is not enough. Do waterproof zips work ?
Velcro flap closure is not as good as poppers, which can be used to close the flaps with the zip undone.

Good evening,

If you rush;

Untitled.png
You might be lucky!

But be careful I have 10 roles of lime green bare tape coming, but I may be wrong and it is actually 10 sets!:laugh:

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It is old fashioned but there is a lot to be said in favour of a cycle cape, now called a poncho.
I used one for years and still did until recently when I went from 2 wheels to 3.
I commuted for a while 4 miles to work as a postman and used the cape then before going out on my post office bike as I had a cycle route.
Goretex is the best I have found so far but if working hard nothing is going to keep you completely dry.

I rarely use mine- but it is good in really heavy rain. A couple of things I like: my feet stay dry much longer- because much of the water that gets to your shoes just wicks down your legs. Also- in the winter this is good- your gloves stay dry.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I rarely use mine- but it is good in really heavy rain. A couple of things I like: my feet stay dry much longer- because much of the water that gets to your shoes just wicks down your legs. Also- in the winter this is good- your gloves stay dry.

The other thing I liked about it was the versatility. If showery it could be kept on but bunched up in front of you so available for instant use when rain started. If it was really heavy showers I sometimes stopped and waited it out in complete shelter.

Mburton1993

Über Member
I bought these from Amazon together with Aldi shoe covers for camping and cycling, for the price I didn't expect much from them.

Last Monday I was riding in heavy rain for about 4-5 hours then last Friday 6 hours of drizzle and 4 hours of heavy rain.

They actually held up really well, kept me dry.

The scotchgard probably helped too, scotchgard's great.

I would rather get wet than wear boil in the bag textiles.

Really, if you can be flexible with start and finish times you can very often avoid rain.

A cape is probably best if you can't.

tinywheels

Über Member
I bought one of those off Amazon, parts of it are water resistant but mostly it leaks as soon as water touches it, not even good in a light drizzle. Maybe it's a knock off

strange,I've been using my jacket for years. On a long commute initially, then on a shortish commute. Also on longer cycling trips.
Despite the daily usage in winter and sparse use in warmer weather I've never had an issue.
How old is the one you bought?
Is it maintained correctly?
What did you pay? Why off amazon, opposed to the distributor who has sales where they can be had reasonably.???
Some showers pass clothing is not sold as water proof but shower proof,perhaps you bought the wrong jacket.
They did offer a guarantee so returning it if it failed to keep you dry is poss.
in view of my experience I look forward to hearing more.

Top Bottom