Waterproof Clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Burroo67

Hi Guys,

Well I've finally got my e-bike through my employer's Cycle 2 Work scheme and I fully intend NOT being a fair weather rider. I have made my mind up on what waterproof cycling jacket I am going to buy (Showers Pass) and I already have Goretex shoes and Endura Overshoes, but I am stumped on what waterproof cycling trousers to buy.
I am 5'6" tall with a 29.5" inside leg, but as a wee Scottish man who likes his cider and curries I have a 38" waist. I am sure I will start to lose weight once I am more active but I will still have the same problem - short legs. Can anyone out there recommend a good pair of waterproof cycling trousers that would fit my wee frame?

Many thanks

slow scot

Veteran
I use the Endura over trousers. I need the large size so presume other sizes exist. They have an elasticated waist band, so should suit what you are looking for. They are designed for the bike and work well; ie they won't catch on chain rings!

Never needed waterproof trousers. Mudguards keep most of the water off and you'd sweat more than you'd get damp.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Your skin is fairly waterproof, that is as good as it is going to get. You may find materials that can hold off light showers but still be fairly breathable, but for rain - just face it you either get wet from the outside-in (rain) or inside-outside (sweat).

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Showers pass are excellent, far and away the best top I've ever had.

On trousers, I'd second the "no over trousers" suggestions, far better to ride in shorts or tights, carry trousers and change on arrival.

Tom B

Guru
I'm in the shorts or tights camp. Although I do have some altura night vision overtrousers for when it's really horrible.

You have to at some point accept you are going to get wet. Shows waterproof or otherwise have two big holes where your legs go in water runs down your let and into the shoe, jackets have head holes, arm holes etc.

Stop focussing on staying dry and focus in staying warm. As long as I am warm I'm happy.

I do like my helmet cover stops rain getting in causing water to get into the pads and then the months of sweat to wash into your eyes and sting.

I also have mudguards.

I like Montane Atomic DT waterproof over trousers. Like any such items they are best used in cooler conditions but are very useful in cool wet and in very cold conditions. The Montane ones may be too slim and long for your shape but they fit my elfin frame and snake hips well without any bagginess to flap around behind the knees.
I avoid the style with no elasticated ankles using only velcro tabs.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
How about Rainlegs? https://www.rainlegs.com/en/about.html

They are a bit silly looking. And I don't have any experience of them, but might be worth considering.
I use them and they do keep the top of your legs dry whilst not turning into a sweaty mess,mind you nothing was going to keep you dry yesterday

Magpies

Like the OP, I've used an e-bike for my ~12 mile round-trip commute in rain or shine. Fully fitted with long mudguards of course.
I use a cheap pair of Dunlop over-trousers and have never arrived feeling "wet from the inside" as others put it. Never needed to change at work even after riding through heavy rain (although I keep a change at work just in case).
On my road bike - different story.
E-bike + over-trousers work IMO.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
depends on distance and whether your going fast or slow. I just pootiling along for 5 miles no bother going hard for an hr will be a sweat fest .

Top Bottom