Waterproof footwear for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I had Endura neoprene overshoes and they were terrible, falling to bits very quickly. My next pair were Endura MTB overshoes, as by then they had started selling specific Road and MTB ones.

5 months of use now and they're still in almost-new condition - a huge improvement.

They work well to keep you pretty dry, though as others have said the rain eventually gets in down your legs / big-longs and in through the cleat holes. The upside is that at least it's not cold when the water gets in, as the overshoes insulate your shoes / feet / water just like a wetsuit.

snorri

Legendary Member
I find the short yachting wellies keep me dry.
http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/...4020&Category_code=boots-and-wellies-seaboots
The ankles are sufficiently flexible for cycling, and as you say you don't wear cleats there should be no problem there. Easy to take off and on, just slide your waterproof breeks down and step out of boots and breeks together leaving them ready for the homeward journey.:biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
snorri said:
I find the short yachting wellies keep me dry.
http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/...4020&Category_code=boots-and-wellies-seaboots
The ankles are sufficiently flexible for cycling, and as you say you don't wear cleats there should be no problem there. Easy to take off and on, just slide your waterproof breeks down and step out of boots and breeks together leaving them ready for the homeward journey.:smile:

Don't they make you look like a cycling Captain Birdseye ? :evil:

Ahoy there ! Splice the front forks and hoist the bottom bracket, shipmates :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

P.H

Über Member
Sandals have become very popular with tourists over the last few years. The Shimano ones are excellent for cycling, with or without cleats and they're OK for walking too. It's now the only footwear I take, combined with a variety of socks, thick woollies, thin cycling and waterproof, it's like having a pannier full of different shoes. Unless it’s cold I’ll wear them without socks when it’s raining, it’s a lot more comfy than a soaked shoe and when the rain stops they dry quickly unlike some shoes that take days. Style? Who cares;)

P.H

Über Member
MrGrumpy said:
anyone recommend a pair of overshoes that are a bit thinner than the thick neoprene I use in winter, looking for something less bulky that can be stuffed in my bag ?

I've been using Eager nylon overshoes for commutting this winter, over normal shoes. They work fine, though I haven't used them on a long ride.
Eager overshoes
They also do a knee length version that look really odd with shorts.

bonj2

northwave celsius gtx
they RULE
9156_1_p1.jpg
[

Tynan

Veteran
indeed, usual bonj directness

bonj2

MrGrumpy said:
nice Winter boot :tongue:

why would you want waterproof footwear in summer? IF it's hot enough for the northwave's to be too hot, it's plenty hot enough for a bit of water not to chill you too much!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
bonj said:
why would you want waterproof footwear in summer? IF it's hot enough for the northwave's to be too hot, it's plenty hot enough for a bit of water not to chill you too much!

I agree there is a certain logic there, but maybe some of us just don't want to be walking around in wet shoes all day, and would find the Northwaves too hot for summer use...

Tynan

Veteran
if it's raining hard when you set off, suppose

but the rest of the time it's a trade off between comfortable in the warm and dry when not, still overshoes for me, It's not about cold for me, I don't like the squelchy, don't much care for having to dry the shoes out either

Top Bottom