Waterproof gloves.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Mitts are usually better as they have less seams. I have used mountain walking mitts previously with drop handlebars and down tube shifters. Might be awkward with STI.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I was given some old cobblers about the SAS using Sealskinz by the bloke in CycleSurgery. A spot of rain told me that I'd pissed away £30.
Avoid at all cost. Now I just use a £5 pair of Lidl ski gloves and accept wet hands.

Schoolboy error, you should have paid a bit more and got the ones used by the SBS ( like the SAS, but they've had swimming lessons )
😉🏊

Nothing but the finest Kermit skin will do...

kermit.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Neoprene ? Aldi had some of their own in recently which seemed fine in the downpour of Wednesdays am commute, for once I could not work at home to avoid the morning rain, albeit potentially sweaty hands if the commute had been any longer

silva

Über Member
Those on that pic could be Neoprene but I somewhat doubt they're waterproof, you can clearly see stitching holes and those will allow water to get in. It should at least be blindstitched and to be totally waterproof, on top of that also sealed with liquid rubber.
GoreTex is a textile structure that blocks liquid water but lets damp pass.
But when too small the same applies as all the others: bloodtransport is slowed and cold.
It's expensive.

mangid

Guru
I use diving cuff seals rolled back over Gortex shell mitts worn over various levels of gloveage depending on temperature (the best by far for cold mornigns being some cheap German Army mitts from Amazon). They stop the water running down your arms into the gloves. Takes a bit longer to get out the door on a wet morning, but definitely worth it.

conical-latex-wrist-4V8s (1).jpg
20191006_091342.jpg

--
Dan

Are those waterproof?
If yes, what material or material/textile construction makes it so?
Neoprene, so not fully waterproof but once wet you stay warm. I also have a pair of Gore winter gloves Countdown? which are Goretex and do keep you dry but are very very warm

Katherine

Guru
Make sure that the sleaves of your jacket go over your gloves so that rain doesn't run down your arms into the gloves.

Top Bottom