Waterproof gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RandyMcShagg

Hi all, just signed up, started a new job 2 months ago and have been doing the cycle there and back and i have got most of what i need to combat bad weather but one thing is missing - good waterproof gloves that do the job, or the closest to it at least, that do not get soaked.

I have bought 2 pairs on amazon already and they are no good, and every time you look at another pair there are plenty of reviews saying they are not waterproof. It seems to be the biggest challenge so far to be honest, ive got the jacket, trousers, different layers, helmet, ear muffs, over glasses, cycling mask, waterproof pannier and all the rest of it which were straightforward buys but on the gloves it seems to be a gamble, too many companies saying their gloves are waterproof when they are not.

Does anyone have some good recommendations on waterproof gloves? Thanks for your time.

vickster

Legendary Member
Marigolds :laugh:
Hard to get properly waterproof gloves in torrential rain due to the big holes in the top!

GetFatty

Über Member
Yep as vickster says, there’s a major design flaw with the hole at the top. Best I’ve managed so far is Planet X lobsters but even those will get wet inside in heavy rain over 30 - 45 mins

this may be a bit dumb but maybe get 2 pairs - one for the ride in - then a dry pair for the ride home
then dry them both overnight

BTW - what over glasses do you use - I could do with something to wear over my glasses to stop insects and stone hitting the prescription lenses
and some sun protection would help too!

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
trouble is overelly waterproof will stop any sweat from your hands will just make them damp and minging inside, im sure if your prepared to spend a lot of money then some high end gore gloves would be the bees knees, if its given out heavy rain i find gloves with neoprene keep your hand s semi dry and warm and i would take a spare spare for the home trip

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
this may be a bit dumb but maybe get 2 pairs - one for the ride in - then a dry pair for the ride home
then dry them both overnight

BTW - what over glasses do you use - I could do with something to wear over my glasses to stop insects and stone hitting the prescription lenses
and some sun protection would help too!
have you considered getting cycle glasses with a prescription insert?

as some have said, totally waterproof can be a sweat problem.

I'd avoid these in particular.
https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Dry-Grip-Winter-Cycling-Glove-p/pol01-8024-p.htm
truly horrible - I think I'd rather be caressed by the rain.

I sometimes use a separate wtaerproof or near waterproof over glove.

+ 1 for carrying a spare pair of gloves for especially wet days.
(and socks for that matter)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You just need something to keep your hands warm enough - how warm depends on the person as some suffer cold more. Bigger gloves gather more water, but if your hands are warm, it's OK.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Try Galibier, either the leather gloves, or the Barrier. I recently wore the leather ones for a 50 mile ride in pretty cold and wet conditions, I added liners when it dropped below 5C, and by the end the gloves were damp, but my hands weren't cold. They dried out overnight too.

I have some SealSkin waterproof gloves. I've heard a lot of people saying that they leak but they might be getting confused with sweat.

I've dunked mine in a bucket of water as I clean the bike after and they didn't let anything in.

Very important to keep your gloves warm at stops. Shove them up your top. If you're at work let them dry out by a radiator

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Try Galibier, either the leather gloves, or the Barrier. I recently wore the leather ones for a 50 mile ride in pretty cold and wet conditions, I added liners when it dropped below 5C, and by the end the gloves were damp, but my hands weren't cold. They dried out overnight too.
I had my Barrier Gloves on last night, -1C and hands were fine, which is more than i could say for my legs :cold:

Top Bottom