Waterproof Jacket recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

areyouactuallymoving

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this....

Can anyone recommend a waterproof jacket, please? I want one that I can use when commuting a couple of times a week, but also comfortable for longer weekend rides. I am a slightly larger lady (size 16) and I will admit to 'glowing' quite a bit while riding. So I want something more of a comfort fit than racer but that is properly breathable and still waterproof. I am not adverse to spending a relatively large amount if I get what I want.

Have ordered and sent back two different Gore Bike Wear jackets as even the XL was very snug.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's probably best to visit shops if you're having problems with fit. As well as Stroud, I expect Cheltenham and Bristol have some choices. I don't know if decathlon have a Bristol store yet.

As for the jacket, I'd look for one with a rear vent. Polaris do one and have a sale now, but I've no idea on their sizing.

Happy shopping!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd not get a waterproof jacket at all, but instead get a fleecy windproof cycle jacket instead. Whilst they're not per se waterproof they do keep you fairly dry on the inside as your body head drives the water out - even if wearing a cotton t shirt inderneath (which isn't the ideal garment). I had a rather good altura one plus a rsther dearer Assos one (851 I think). The Assos was a lot nicer but only slightly "better" if that makes sense. Gave up on waterproofs proper for cycling years ago. Slightly different calculatuon if wearing an anorak over a suit I guess.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi
If you're happy to pay Gore prices then my recommendation would be something from Paramo, I use this for all but the warmest weather:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/paramo-velez-adventure-light-mens-waterproof-jacket-p102957

They do a full zip 'cycling' version the Quito:
https://www.startfitness.co.uk/para...MIir2guOfn1QIVLSjTCh14dAlREAQYASABEgLKivD_BwE as used by @User

Couple of thoughts, if fit is an issue maybe try a 'Mens' jacket which may be better shaped for you (I'm no racing whippet).
Also, these jackets tend to be slightly bulkier than regular cycle fare, but breath incredibly well and are fabulously waterproof. The added benefit is that as they are not 'Cycling' jackets you can wear them out on the moors or down the pub without screaming hi-viz cyclist!

pclay

Veteran
Do you wear Lycra when commuting? If so, then I would not wear a waterproof. They are boil in the bag jackets. If wearing Lycra, you soon get dry once you get out of the rain.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you wear Lycra when commuting? If so, then I would not wear a waterproof. They are boil in the bag jackets. If wearing Lycra, you soon get dry once you get out of the rain.
Getting cold is my issue if raining (less so in summer), bit of boil in the bag warmth is welcome

rivers

How far can I go?
Getting cold is my issue if raining (less so in summer), bit of boil in the bag warmth is welcome

I also enjoy the boil in a bag effect in the cooler months.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Controllable ventilation (rear vents, zippable inlets and maybe extra vents) defeats that. I don't really understand why so many wear what are essentially high-tech bin-bags and then generalise the problem to all jackets ever.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
My current go-to waterproof is the Altura Peloton jacket - not least because it is cut generously enough for my less-than-optimum-for-racing physique.

If you want something more commuter-oriented, Altura's new season stuff looks pretty good - the Night Vision X Waterproof jacket claims to be very well vented, though I've not actually used it so can't vouch for that.

(Altura have definitely upped their game a bit lately - I used to have a Nevis jacket some years ago, which was frankly rubbish.)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 4925683, member: 259"]That's interesting. I have an Altura Nevis , which is probably the least breathable item of clothing I've ever owned - the very definition of boil in the bag. But the bloody thing is utterly indestructible.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much my experience with the Nevis - I found it more useful off-the-bike than for any activity requiring the slightest bit of effort. I don't know how my old one (original) compares with the current version (v3) though. The Peloton jacket isn't especially breathable but I only use it in heavy rain.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Cioch Direct on Skye do a made-to measure service. Their Glamaig is good to cycle in with a good range of colours and options. The customer service is excellent. Also do a wind proof cycling top in Beachcomber fabric which dries fast.

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this....

Can anyone recommend a waterproof jacket, please? I want one that I can use when commuting a couple of times a week, but also comfortable for longer weekend rides. I am a slightly larger lady (size 16) and I will admit to 'glowing' quite a bit while riding. So I want something more of a comfort fit than racer but that is properly breathable and still waterproof. I am not adverse to spending a relatively large amount if I get what I want.

Have ordered and sent back two different Gore Bike Wear jackets as even the XL was very snug.
I'm a top heavy size 16, very fussy about my kit, prone to sweating profusely at the very sight of a bike. I've spent a lot of money and worn a lot of kit over the past 8 years in search of nirvana, i.e. a waterproof yet breathable jacket with an acceptable fit/cut. (I'm 5'4", short waisted, big busted as I said but also with slightly long arms for my height/proportions, etc.)

I highly recommend -
  • Showers Pass for commuting - waterproof and breathable enough if you're not hammering it out. I have had 2 Club Pro Jackets. Relaxed fit, nice shape. Large fits well. I bought a second one in XL to accommodate bulkier layers underneath but, after 2 winters, reckon the Large gets more use.
  • Gore One Shakedry - hands down the best jacket ever and worth every single penny! But it's black and 'racier' fit so maybe not great for commuting. Wiggle has it in size XXL (44) and due to its stretchy fabric, I can even layer it over long sleeve jerseys. But it also feels totally fine against bare skin and has been a godsend when caught out in these sharp summer thunderstorms. (Up to now, Gore's Power Active Shell was top of my league table in the waterproof/breathability stakes but the shape was more pear-shaped-figure friendly and a bit of a struggle for me in size 44.)
Craft is also excellent - with some great deals on Amazon. If you're ever looking for waterproof/breathable trousers, I highly recommend Craft over Gore as they seem to have a much better understanding of shape/sizing for women with curves!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom