Waterproof Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phaedrus

I have a ridiculously short commute, just over 1.5 miles, so I don't tend to get all that warm. I'm looking for an outer waterproof jacket which I could wear over a fleece for warmth.

Any suggestions?

tomb1960

Hello and welcome! Altura Night visions are good and seem well received on this site. Wiggle (wiggle.co.uk) do them.

Tynan

Veteran
he doesn't need a £55 cycle top for that tiny ride

you don't need anything breathable

get one of the cheap waterproof tops that you'd normally sweat to death in

a cycle fit is nice plus a bit of hi viz, otherwise I'd say get a cheap top in a camping shop

the night vision is brill btw, rode in today in it, nice

Cab

A good waterproof jacket is well worth having, not just for cycling but for general wear. I know its pushing the boat out a bit, I know its more expensive, but if you can bring yourself to part with the cash for a gore-tex jacket then in the long run I doubt you'll regret it. You'll have it for years, it'll be breathable, cosy, waterproof and comfortable for a long, long time.

DLB

i have an endura convert which converts from a waterprrof jacket to a gillet. come in yellow and blue for about £50. not very breathable but for your commute sounds ideal.

Dormouse

Re: Altura Night Vision, it looks good etc but it has not lasted well for me, especially considering the price. The stretchy collar adjuster snapped after a few weeks and the toggle on the front zip broke off after a few months.

Tynan

Veteran
oh good, the neck is snug without adjustment for me, the L is a remarkably snug fit

I thought the main zip seemed a bit flimsy, hard to be careful with that too, still, a toggle is easily bodged, thanks for the heads up though

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Any good waterproof trousers? Mine are 'shower proof' to put it optimistically.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Cathryn said:
Any good waterproof trousers? Mine are 'shower proof' to put it optimistically.

I just wear shorts, my skin is waterproof :smile:

On a more serious note some longs such as Ron Hill DXB Bikesters have a water replant coating so that the water just runs off (so long as you don't wash them).

Bigtallfatbloke

another vote for the altura night vision here. Mine is fine..no probs. I have the black one which I wear off the bike a lot as well. On the bike I put on a hi vis vest over it in the day time. It has a good fit to cover your bum, vents on the side, a useful chest zipper pocket and a big rear pocket which I use to put my water proof trousers in just in case. It also has velcro wrist fasteners which are great at illiminating cold wrists by going over the top of your gloves. It is safe on the bike and imo looks cool off the bike.

as for waterproof trousers, I have a pair of DHB cheapy ones...which are good...fit me well, have ample room on the knee and are waterproof. Only thiong is th eankle zips (which go up almost to the knee) need some velcro straps on them to stop the zip undoing and getting hooked up in the chain...I solve this with two hi vis ankle wraps.

baggytrousers

I've been using the Endura Gridlock jacket and trousers, when required, for the last 12 mths at least. I wear the jacket most days now anyway, partly because it's high-vis but it also keeps me warm on the really cold days with just an endura long sleeve base layer underneath.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I kept forgetting to get some new waterproof trousers and then it rained... so quick bit of thinking.... stole hubby's brand new ones:biggrin::evil::smile:..... So far they have kept me dry, are long enough in the leg, and got enough knee room. They are Gill ones. As they are brand new can't report on how well the waterproofing lasts.

Top Bottom