Waterproof jackets/trousers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JE201

Regular
Hi guys, I recently bought a Brompton and need to get some waterproofs to wear on my commute. I was wondering if anyone can give some advice on which of the following would be the best option? My main priority is keeping dry, followed by warmth, followed by breathability. There also seems to be a lot fewer options for waterproof trousers so if anyone has any good suggestions I would love to hear them!

https://www.evanscycles.com/altura-night-vision-cyclone-jacket-EV341543 (15K waterproof)

https://www.evanscycles.com/altura-night-vision-twilight-jacket-EV341544 (unclear what rating this has)

https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-ridgeway-hooded-softshell-jacket-EV332567 (only 10K waterproof)

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cy...man-mens-waterproof-jacket---navy-156838.html (unclear what rating this has)

Would a cape/poncho also be necessary/recommended by anyone?

Recommendations for trousers? Gloves?

Many thanks in advance!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got some Altura Night Vision over-trousers. They are hardly stylish but they certainly keep the rain out. Highly recommended.

vickster

Legendary Member
Night vision jackets are good while they maintain their waterproofness (it does go after time) - but they are very much for cooler weather/winter and not summer rain

Gore jackets have a very good rep for being breathable and waterproof but spendy.

Gloves wise none are very waterproof in heavy rain due to the pesky big hole at the top!

Where in the country are you - it's much wetter and more frequently so in some places than others (eg NW vs London) (and colder in winter)

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Night vision jackets are good while they maintain their waterproofness (it does go after time) - but they are very much for cooler weather/winter and not summer rain

Gore jackets have a very good rep for being breathable and waterproof but spendy.

Gloves wise none are very waterproof in heavy rain due to the pesky big hole at the top!

Where in the country are you - it's much wetter and more frequently so in some places than others (eg NW vs London) (and colder in winter)
Thanks. I am in London. Is there any difference between the Night Vision Cyclone and Twilight jackets other than the hood? The Cyclone description gives a waterproof rating but the Twilight one doesn't, so I'm not sure if there is any difference (or any other differences for that matter).

On the gloves, I came across a pair of Seal Skinz gloves. I have some waterproof socks from them which are quite good, but I'm not sure how good their gloves are in this area. Again, primarily looking for good waterproofness but also heat as I generally have cold hands even at the best of times!

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I am in London. Is there any difference between the Night Vision Cyclone and Twilight jackets other than the hood? The Cyclone description gives a waterproof rating but the Twilight one doesn't, so I'm not sure if there is any difference (or any other differences for that matter).

On the gloves, I came across a pair of Seal Skinz gloves. I have some waterproof socks from them which are quite good, but I'm not sure how good their gloves are in this area. Again, primarily looking for good waterproofness but also heat as I generally have cold hands even at the best of times!
no idea on the jackets, I’ve got quite an old Evo

the seal skinz stuff doesn’t have a great rep around these parts. If hand cold, get some liners

how far is your commute?

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
no idea on the jackets, I’ve got quite an old Evo

the seal skinz stuff doesn’t have a great rep around these parts. If hand cold, get some liners

how far is your commute?
It is around 30-40 minutes each way.

I wouldn’t get too hung up about the waterproof ratings: fit around the cuffs, neck and hem and design, does the front flap cover the zip, are at least as important factors in keeping you dry.

Ventilation is also important if you want to use one jacket all year round .

I’ve never used a cape on a Brompton, others will be able to say if they are a good idea.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've used the Altura night vision stuff and it was perfectly good for my regular 25 minute commute each way when I lived in West London. Showers didn't bother me. I now have Showers Pass goretex but that's only because I'm out longer and expect hours in the rain at some point when touring.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Do you mean these?

https://www.evanscycles.com/altura-night-vision-3-waterproof-overtrouser-EV309013

The rating is 10K/10K - do you still stay dry even in heavy rain for longer time periods?
Do you mean these?

https://www.evanscycles.com/altura-night-vision-3-waterproof-overtrouser-EV309013

The rating is 10K/10K - do you still stay dry even in heavy rain for longer time periods?
I've never been out in the Monsoon but in all the time I used them for commuting, I've never ended up with wet jeans.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
I've used the Altura night vision stuff and it was perfectly good for my regular 25 minute commute each way when I lived in West London. Showers didn't bother me. I now have Showers Pass goretex but that's only because I'm out longer and expect hours in the rain at some point when touring.
Thanks. I had a look on the Showers Pass site and there is a sale on some products. Are you familiar with their Syncline jacket and how it compares to the Night Vision Cyclone? At the sale price it is nearly the same price as the Night Vision one on sale at my local Evans store.

Tom B

Guru
I've tried all sorts of waterproofs over the years and I've found that the altura night visions stuff is as good as anything. You need to keep up with the cleaning and reproofing stuff. My favourite overtrousers are night vision. But I don't tend to bother about my legs too much and have been known to use regular waterproof trousers and wrap insulation tape around them to keep them out of the chain.

As someone has pointed out already the problem with waterproof stuff is the big holes in it that you need to put it on. I'm yet to find anything that keeps me truely dry either the rain gets in or the sweat doesn't get out. I've got a Boardman waterproof jacket that cost £15;in a sale thats every bit as good as a £120 jacket. Think about pockets too, if you are wet and cold with soggy gloves your dexterity will suffer. The aforementioned Boardman has no pockets and fiddling for gate keys or work passes under layers is a pain.

I now take the approach that I don't mind being wet as long as I am warm, so build layers with that in mind and then put a waterproof top layer on.

I've yet to find any decent gloves that will keep me dry on my half our commute. The expensive stuff seems to fare only marginally better than the likes of Aldi stuff. My favourite are planet X lobster claws that I got for £8 a pair but they leak.
Sealskinz don't do it for me and were a big disappointment.
Size up with gloves, I have a pet theory that it's the stretching of the stitches allows water in.

Top Bottom