Waterproof mb shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marekbuk

I'm a newbie to this forum and would like to delve right in with a question.
I ride both as a daily commuter and for leisure and am looking at getting into clipless pedals/shoes but am really concerned about getting my poor feet soaked - I live on the Yorkshire Pennines so am used to riding in the rain - I normally wear Army Goretex oversocks inside a pair of Sidi Motorcycle boots which have never let me down. Are there solutions out there to be totally waterproof riding with clipless pedals?
The trainer style shoes I've seen look useless in the wet

These seem to get good reviews but pricey!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31693

I doubt if anything is totally waterproof, the water always seems to find away in.

I would also recomment these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9275

I know they are road overshoes, but I use mine for both. I use SL cleats on road and spd on MTB and they fit both no problems

andrew_s

Legendary Member
marekbuk said:
The trainer style shoes I've seen look useless in the wet
They are indeed useless.

There's a fundamental problem with trying to keep dry feet. The water runs down your leg and into the same hole you put your foot in.

Options
a) overshoes
few are completely waterproof. The top is higher up the leg than the top of most shoes, so legwear can be worn over the top and divert water outside.

;) waterproof socks
legwear can divert water from your leg to the outside. It's also possible to use a rubber seal round the top that lets very little past. I've used the wrist sections from a pair of Marigold rubber gloves, with the narrow end against the skin and the wide end over the top of the sock.
Your shoes still get soaked and it can take a fair while to dry out soggy shoes, so you can end up wearing the waterproof socks even on dry days.

c) waterproof winter boots
Expensive - the shimano boots linked above are at the cheap end of the range.
They work well if the ankle is sealed or covered, but if water gets in it stays put, and the shoes take ages to dry out.

d) SPD sandals.
Skin is waterproof, and they dry out pretty much as soon as it stops raining.
This time of year you'd need waterproof socks and an ankle seal, but bare feet are best any time it's warm enough for shorts (or even warn enough not to need gloves).

Tynan

Veteran
lately I use a good warm sock, normal shoes and overshoes, the feet will get wet eventually for sure but if the sock behaves well when wet your feet can stay warm and relatively comfortable

Top Bottom