Waterproof Overshoes - recommendations please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having suffered wet feet for the second time recently during rides of over 4 hours, once in very very heavy rain and another during finer but persistent rain, I have reached the inevitable conclusion that my overshoes are not fit for purpose. Rubbish, in fact. Both times I could wring copious quantities of water from my socks.
Some damp ingress I do not mind. Some protection in temperatures of between 2°-6° would be a bonus.
And please do not recommend winter booties. For the 4 or 5 times a year they are worn, I do not believe this to be a value option. Although it may be the most sensible.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I love the thin Madison ones. Mine were £16 And when it’s colder the neoprene Endura ones.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have tried all sorts of overshoes and your feet will get wet. I have just ordered my first pair of winter boots and will repirt back.

I agree. I haven’t found any way of keeping 100% dry. Even waterproof trousers over everything. Damage limitation really.

I have also ordered my first pair of winter boots (Sidi) They are warm (on the turbo) and goretex but they still have a massive hole in the top where your foot goes in 😉

In heavy rain i find them all much of a muchness.
Fine for a while but heavy prolonged rain will get through.
Doesn't water also get through the bottom of the shoes?
If expecting to be out in heavy rain and it starts to bother me, i just change to a new pair of thick synthetic socks.

13 rider

Guru
If your out for 4 hrs in the rain I think no matter what your feet are going to get wet no matter what . My option would be overshoes ( mine are endura ) and waterproof socks ( mine are Aldi ) . The socks are a strange thing as water does inventually get in( running down your leg) but as it's trapped in the sock next to your skin your feet stay warmish or not as cold with normal socks

Folk I know are raving about the full length version of these https://www.spatzwear.com/ the cheapest I've seen them though is £65

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I use Sealskinz which are reproofed when I do my jackets.
I find spray from the road is hard to combat, but rain from the sky can be averted from dribbling into your shoes, at least for a while, by having "waterproof" trousers, or leggings over the overshoes. But if it is heavy, or persistent but you are out in it for a long time, I just accept resignation to the inevitable at some stage.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
In heavy rain i find them all much of a muchness.
Fine for a while but heavy prolonged rain will get through.
Doesn't water also get through the bottom of the shoes?
If expecting to be out in heavy rain and it starts to bother me, i just change to a new pair of thick synthetic socks.
That's what I do. I have BBB Hardwear overshoes and some Wolf ones from Rosebikes, both of which are good, but eventually water gets in (from underneath as much as anywhere) so I just change sockets at a stop. Gives a good psychological boost.

For anyone after recommendations, as the OP is, and since I reckon they are all pretty good/not so good, planet X do velcro fastening ones often for a tenner. Altura not bad as well - often on offer.
I always find the sizing needs to be carefully checked - often doesn't seem to be matched to the shoe size they are going over (which would seem logical) so you have to go up a size.
I dislike the uber close fitting sleek ones aimed at racers - a complete pain to get on and off - which probably means you will be lazy and walk in them to somewhere you can get them on and off - which will soon wreck them.
OP - buy a roll of duct tape as well for ongoing repairs on the bottom. No shame.

For anyone after recommendations, as the OP is, and since I reckon they are all pretty good/not so good, planet X do velcro fastening ones often for a tenner. Altura not bad as well - often on offer.
I always find the sizing needs to be carefully checked - often doesn't seem to be matched to the shoe size they are going over (which would seem logical) so you have to go up a size.
I dislike the uber close fitting sleek ones aimed at racers - a complete pain to get on and off - which probably means you will be lazy and walk in them to somewhere you can get them on and off - which will soon wreck them.
OP - buy a roll of duct tape as well for ongoing repairs on the bottom. No shame.
I found the PX ones good at first but after a while they'd lift at the toe continuously mid ride :-/

silva

Über Member
Mine now last 5 years.
Used (parts of) collected garbage.
Materials:
- epdm rubber
- velcro tape
The epdm rubber lasts decades.
I had 2 replace the velcro once due to worn, own fault since I first used tape from a cheapo raincoat.
Did so after deciding it's enough (the sold crap)

Attachments

• FILE0094_Flappies.JPG
    FILE0094_Flappies.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 19
  • FILE0090.JPG
    FILE0090.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom