Waterproof Pannier Recs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yazzoo

Hi All,

After a pair of panniers, must be waterproof, don't really want lots of compartments, just a big open space I can drop a bag of shopping or work bag straight in.

Robust and waterproof top priorities! What would you recommend? Or not recommend if you've had some fall apart!

mythste

Veteran
Gotta be Ortlieb. They're so popular for a reason.

Unimaginative

Über Member
As above, Ortleib. Back roller classics for me; unlike the 'city' panniers, the fasters can click together over the roll-top or use the shoulder strap with the hook on the front to stop the strap from waving about, which means that it's possible to overfill them and still tighten up the to around whatever is poking out, while for the 'city' versions the ends have to clip down onto the side of the pannier. The city ones are cheaper, but the classics are more flexible.

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

haha I need to see some in real life @mythste - 25l sounds like a lot!

Has anyone got a pic of the rear or front rollers on their bike for a bit of context?

mythste

Veteran
IMG_0150.JPG

Back classic rollers fully loaded on tour.

I only use one for commuting duty and get shoes, change of clothes, coat, and lunchbox with about half the room to spare. I wouldn't want to take two bags into the office and be faffing between them even if they were smaller.

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

thanks, they look huge! I think you've convinced me to go for the smaller ones, I don't need to take the bags off when I arrive at work, just take my bags out of them if that makes sense

Does having one full bag on one side not make you wonky?!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
A single pannier would have to weigh a hell of a lot to make it noticeably unbalanced.

Top Bottom