Watt bike help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, in an effort to be quicker in the velodrome I'm wanting to keep up the winter miles and the velo studio has watt bikes and matrix bikes. I've done my 3 minute test and got my figures for zones etc.
What I can't figure out is how to follow any workouts. Do I just do the timings from memory? I can link my phone to the bike and use the Wattbike hub app but it seems a bit of a palavour. Or do I just get on and ride, but that doesn't seem overly structured?

S-Express

If it's track fitness you're after, just knock out a combination of efforts that work your 30sec, 1min and 5min power. Although you can do those on any trainer, tbf.

Presume this is for track league or something?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It is easiest to use the app and really not much of a faff. The app will then set your targets for you as you go. If you want, it will then sync to Strava.
I now use Zwift on the Wattbike as I find it more enjoyable, both following training plans and racing.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

If it's track fitness you're after, just knock out a combination of efforts that work your 30sec, 1min and 5min power. Although you can do those on any trainer, tbf.

Presume this is for track league or something?
Thanks. So I just warm up and do some intervals? Nothing overly structured?

OP
OP
M

Markymark

It is easiest to use the app and really not much of a faff. The app will then set your targets for you as you go. If you want, it will then sync to Strava.
I now use Zwift on the Wattbike as I find it more enjoyable, both following training plans and racing.
Thanks. Yes it seemed easy to setup but it seemed a bit odd that I needed an app for a workout and nothing is built into the bike's display?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks. Yes it seemed easy to setup but it seemed a bit odd that I needed an app for a workout and nothing is built into the bike's display?

I think you can follow directly on the display - rather than going to 'Just Ride' go to the tests/training section. To be honest the app on iOS is actually pretty good now, it used to be terrible.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I think you can follow directly on the display - rather than going to 'Just Ride' go to the tests/training section. To be honest the app on iOS is actually pretty good now, it used to be terrible.
Thanks.
I did have a look in the bike and saw a few tests but no real training workouts.

I have the app and there's a few workouts there. I did follow one but my power did not match what it was supposed to be even though my cadence was about right. Do I manually adjust the resistance lever to match it on the fly?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks.
I did have a look in the bike and saw a few tests but no real training workouts.

I have the app and there's a few workouts there. I did follow one but my power did not match what it was supposed to be even though my cadence was about right. Do I manually adjust the resistance lever to match it on the fly?

A Wattbike is a dumb trainer (a good one but dumb). You can adjust the big lever on the bottom left to control the air and then the knob on the right for magnetic resistance. You use a combination of both. I tend to use the air resistance for major changes and the magnetic for minor.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

A Wattbike is a dumb trainer (a good one but dumb). You can adjust the big lever on the bottom left to control the air and then the knob on the right for magnetic resistance. You use a combination of both. I tend to use the air resistance for major changes and the magnetic for minor.
Ah, ok. So to match with what my power should be on a workout I adjust the lever through out the ride?

Sorry, last question. There's not many workouts, is there a way of creating and uploading to the app?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Ah, ok. So to match with what my power should be on a workout I adjust the lever through out the ride?

Sorry, last question. There's not many workouts, is there a way of creating and uploading to the app?

Yup - adjust as you go. I don't know of a way to customise your own workout, when I was using the app I followed their workouts or made up my own, or sometimes just watched a tv program.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Those are structured. Any interval session is structured, by definition.
No I get that but unless I'm following an app not sure when the intervals are exactly unless I commit the schedule to memory. What I mean is do I just do some intervals in a 40min ride as I choose?

S-Express

No I get that but unless I'm following an app not sure when the intervals are exactly unless I commit the schedule to memory. What I mean is do I just do some intervals in a 40min ride as I choose?

You don't need an app. Warm up for 10mins, ride another 5mins at tempo, then 30sec on/off for 5mins (or 1min on/off), 5mins easy, then repeat the intervals and then warm down. None of this needs to be any more complex than that.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

You don't need an app. Warm up for 10mins, ride another 5mins at tempo, then 30sec on/off for 5mins (or 1min on/off), 5mins easy, then repeat the intervals and then warm down. None of this needs to be any more complex than that.
Thank you. Last question. Is the interval at the same cadence but higher resistance or higher cadence but same resistance or increasing both?

Top Bottom