*WAVE* from Erdington, Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

Stumbled across this Forum whilst looking for advise on a bike which hasn't been used for many years.

Im 26 and from Erdington Birmingham, Married and have a daughter who was 1 last week.

10 Years ago I cycled to work daily (3-4miles each way) which kept my weight down even though I was still overweight.

Got a job in the Birmingham City Centre (Brindley Place if anyone else likes Pub's at lunch time!) which meant I got the bus in. Ever since I have been putting weight on and now 17.5stone and to the point i struggle to fit in clothes.

As im skint i refuse to by new clothes, i might look stupid and uncomfortable but that's my punishment/incentive to loss it.

About 5 Years ago I got a bike via a scheme at work (Cycle2Work) which meant i got £300 halfords vouchers for £7 a month for 3 years. Did it for a week but as it was nearly winter it went in the shed and never come out again.

I then moved out of my parents house soon after and totally forgot about it until someone at work started to cycle to work. This reminded me and I eventually pulled my figure out and fetched it from my folks.

Bike is a Carrera Kraken, excellent condition with a little rust showing on the chain, scared to ride it at the moment as I dont know if i should after 5 years standing still (think it will be ok as it wasnt really used before storage) but ordered some de-greaser, Wet Lube, Oil and a new lock as Iost the keys to the existing one :sad:

Plan at the moment is for a evening hour ride around my area, this then might stretch to cycling to work (4-5miles)

Thanks for reading (if you got this far im more interesting than i thought!), any thoughts, comments or general suggestions welcome!

Motozulu

Über Member
Hello mate and welcome!

Like you I had'nt biked for years but due to the weight creeping up I dug out (literally) a shockingly bad old barracuda F/S mtb from the garden shed, sent it to the LBS to get the cables changed and a new tyre and started doing a couple of miles a day down the local bypass. 6 months on I'm a stone lighter, with a new hardtail mtb and riding the Cannock trails everyday I'm off work.

Stick at it, ride within your limits (but steadily push yourself a little further each time) and enjoy. Well, well worth it. :thumbsup:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Welcome from the other side of Birmingham.
Give it a go. What could you loose? (apart from weight?).
It may seem like a long way now, but 4-5 miles is an ideal daily commuting distance.

Typhon

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum. :smile: If you go out on your bike regularly you will be able to do that commute in no time and it will really help with weight loss.

Top Bottom