Waves at everyone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edge

Hi all,

Just thought I would introduce myself as I have been lurking in the background and spying on you all!

I am a member of a few mountain bike forums and I love the sport, I have completed a few 24 hour and 12 hour endurance races (For fun) and am in the middle of setting up an old road bike that was given to me by a friend from another forum.

Cougar.jpg

The idea was to do some road work during the week and at weekends get back to some lovely mud plugging.

I am an absolute noob when it comes to road bikes, hence why I have joined up here to learn more from you guys plus joining in with some of the banter in this community.

I will post up some pictures of my road bike once she is built (she won't be stunning) for all to laugh at ;)

Anyway, I am from Yeovil in Somerset and in between shift work and looking after my 2 children, I get the odd day out on my bike, which keeps me somewhat sane!!

For those of you that are into mountain bikes, here is my Zaskar

DSC00045.jpg

Hello Edge! <waves back>
Welcome along. I'm sure you'll find it an interesting and enjoyable place to hang out. ;)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Welcome.

I think you will find a road bike a great accessory to your mountainbike. Not only is the cross training really helpful but a road bike helps maximise your time as it's often so much more convenient to get out on the road.

OP
OP
Edge

Edge

I think that is what is attracting me to the roads to be honest. We don't have a massive amount of bridleways down in my parts so I have to travel a fair bit to Wales, Quantocks, Purbecks and further afield to sample any 'good riding' and this is not always possible with kids and work commitments.

With winter looming, I think some road riding will be ideal for me with the odd bit of mountain biking to keep fitness up.

I certainly love the mtb and will always prefer off roading but I cannot see anything wrong with some on road riding as well. I just won't tell my mtb buddies just yet ;)

OP
OP
Edge

Edge

I did consider after we finished SITS but struggled to get anyone to join me. In hindsight this is a good thing as I have been suffering from a chest infection and virus for the last 5 weeks. I have shifted the chest infection after some antibiotics but still feel groggy now.

I have never done d2d and would of liked a crack at it too, especially after I got myself a new homemade helmet light as well that needs testing ;)

So far, we have done Mayhem, Bristol 12 hour and SITS this year. We missed 24:12 sadly but by all accounts it was as wet as Mayhem so am somewhat happy I did not go after all!

D2D is a great event. This will be my third year - last year we won our category (female pairs) so we're defending our title but expect to get our asses roundly wupped by younger fitter lasses this time!
Did Mayhem and 24/12 this year. The former was brilliant and the latter was just a slog which I didn't enjoy in any sense of the word!

OP
OP
Edge

Edge

Excellent stuff, hope you get yourself a good result again this year! Mayhem was hard going for me, it was my first 24 hour and it really took it out of me, I had done no training at all as I had not entered it originally but had to jump in with a week to go as a mate was injured. I guess I got the bug then and love doing endurance racing now.

I have some reports in my website which is in my profile if you are bored enough to take a look, they are under ride reports.

Bigtallfatbloke: Thanks, I like the frame, it was a gift from somebody I met on a mtb forum, all it cost me was postage and I promised him that I would look after it and ride it lots, so I better do him proud!

Top Bottom