*waves from Sussex*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saraya

Regular
I’ve joined the forum to pick your brains in the Health section – so it seems polite to stop here first and say hi.

Hi! :biggrin:

I’m a mum, wife and nurse and bought a bike 2 months ago. It was originally supposed to be for my 2 mile cycle to work, however I’ve been having far too much fun on Bridle Paths and cycle routes to brave going on roads yet. I don’t drive and haven’t had a bike since my Grifter in the 80’s and roads are just terrifying. :ohmy:

I am very over weight (though 10lbs lighter than last month!) and today achieved my personal best. 18 miles in 2.5 hours on the Downs Link.

Seems crap compared to the ‘done my first 100’ threads – but considering my first 2 miles, 2 months ago nearly killed me – I’m well chuffed!

I feel like a semi professional tortoise.

Anyway. That’s enough waffling.

It’s good to meet you. :biggrin:

Hello Saraya and welome to CC!

Don't under sell yourself! Your 18 miles is just as impressive as someone else's 100.

Well done for getting back on your bike - you'll soon be chalking up bigger landmarks.

Don't be afraid to ask any question for tips and advice - there's a very good bunch of experienced and immature cyclists here! :tongue:

Safe riding and, above all, enjoy yourself.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Hello
wave.gif

Furkz

Über Member
hi and welcome, you have done great, my best so far is 14 miles and i only been riding for 2 weeks... dont worry you will love it. im in sussex too near Gatwick
wave.gif

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi Saraya and :welcome:

18 miles is further than most people have cycled, and it's your best - so it's a good distance. Don't get phased my the big numbers on the other threads, your goals are the important ones. :smile: Also towpaths take more energy to ride than nice smooth tarmac

Road riding looks really scary, but in practice you get used to it quite quickly and it is a lot safer than everyone thinks it is. Have a look into your local council services or cycle clubs and see if there are any training sessions available if you want to build a bit of confidence :smile:

:bicycle:

OP
OP
Saraya

Saraya

Regular
Hi again. :smile:

Mcshroom. I have looked at the local cycling club. Well, their rear ends - almost from the gutter! I have to do just under a mile on quiet roads to get to the start of the Bridle Paths I ride. The local club often fly past me in a large pack and nearly blow me off the road. I may be wrong, but my initial impression is that until I lose about 7 stone, get a racer bike and can squeeze into lycra – I don’t think they’d want to know me!

Anyway. Thanks for the lovely welcome.

I like it here. :biggrin:

fimm

Veteran
Hello Saraya, and welcome! :hello:

There might well be a more suitable cycling club in your area - not all clubs are full of lycra-clad speed merchants!
Well done on your long ride - I did my longest ride ever on Saturday and I was so tired at the end but it is a great feeling!

Norm

18 miles is a good number anywhere, even more so when the word "Downs" comes into the sentence. :thumbsup:

Congrats and enjoy. :becool:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome Saraya, the forum is a friendly place, there are no silly questions, although you may get some silly answers. Feel free to pop into the Cafe, for some virtual tea, cake and witty? chat.

OP
OP
Saraya

Saraya

Regular
even more so when the word "Downs" comes into the sentence

Oooh! That makes me sound a bit athletic.
So for honesty's sake - the Downs Link where I cycle - Horsham/Southwater/Christs Hospital/ West Grinstead/Partridge Green area is really rather flat. I'm certainly not up for doing the Downs 'proper'!

Thanks again for the welcomes. :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Hi Saraya
I'm a local. Keep at it and you'll get there as long as you keep enjoying it. The Downs Link is a good way to start, I did!:biggrin:

Lovely name too!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So for honesty's sake - the Downs Link where I cycle - Horsham/Southwater/Christs Hospital/ West Grinstead/Partridge Green area is really rather flat. I'm certainly not up for doing the Downs 'proper'!

Waves back...

Welcome aboard the mad house.

You must be in my neck of the woods. These lovely people would love you to join them one Sunday morning I'm sure. Ignore all the speed and lycra on the home page there - boys will be boys - one of the social group rides of a Sunday morning would suit you down to the ground.

postman

Legendary Member
Hello a Yorkshire greeting to you.Spent a few happy hours on the beaches of Sussex.When down visiting Ashburnham Place near Battle.Still cannot decide if i like the pebbles or our Yorkshire sand.Keep it up and enjoy your cycling.

Top Bottom