Wayne Randle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I managed to finally get to the Sheffield shop, on Bank Holiday Monday.
I'd been to the old Barnsley shop (Worsborough, which was the Allens Cycles/'Cycle Promotions' warehouse)
On going into PX, & walking upstairs to where the bikes are, past a very gorgeous stainless steel (953?) Holdsworth
http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/holdsworth-strada

Daredn't ask for another new bike. Yet:angel:

I was greeted by a familiar voice/face, but I've not seen him for a few years, to talk to
I know quite a few who've ridden with him, & suffered

'The Man Of Steel'..... Wayne 'the train' Randle
Such a nice unassuming guy........... off the bike
Even in the baggy, hiker/walking shorts, he was wearing, those legs spoke (nay... shouted) volumes!!
He did tell me, that on the Sunday a few of them had gone out for a little ride
Filey & back :wacko:

He's a legend
As it states on one of the PX pages

The northern legend of the team who has been associated with Planet X for what seems like forever.

Too many tales of ultimate hardness to list but there's a scattering of bodies and former cyclists all over South Yorkshire that have been forced to rethink their cycling careers after suffering extreme bouts of Randleism.

As Steve Farrell the former top road rider famously reported when asked who was the best ever roadie

"It's got to be Randle his legs are carved out of granite and he's evil looking
When he accelerates it's like being behind a Porsche and you know you're in for some pain.

He's as hard as nails and he's me and my mums hero"

The ride's over a year old, but the story is good!
I like the first paragraph
http://www.planetx.co.uk/news/events/q/date/2016/03/22/who-was-hard-at-boggle-hole

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to chat to Mark Lovatt one of Wayne's mates on a regular basis at the Macclesfield branch of Deeside Cycles.

All of them were hard men

GuyBoden

Guru
The new Holdsworth Cyclone looks fantastic too:

holdsworth-cyclone-classic-steel-bicycle-9.jpg

holdsworth-cyclone-classic-steel-bicycle-13.jpg

Milzy

Guru
I once went on Wayne Randall’s chain gang on a charity ride. He was motor pacing a jcb which ended up with 5 of us been spat out of the back. He’s hard as nails.

Milzy

Guru
Doubtless, Adam, it was the JCB Fast-Trac too?!?
Driver had his foot to the floor, black smoke like American convoy film. We must have been doing 30 mph on the flat & us casualties were burning in zone 5 to stay on. Soon popped & slid away. Watching them disappear like a missed ferry. I won’t be trying that group again unless I can gain some serious power which could take years.

I once went on Wayne Randall’s chain gang on a charity ride. He was motor pacing a jcb which ended up with 5 of us been spat out of the back. He’s hard as nails.
Ought to have asked, that reads as though the JCB was following him, or trying to...………………….

I used to chat to Mark Lovatt one of Wayne's mates on a regular basis at the Macclesfield branch of Deeside Cycles.

All of them were hard men
There's John Tanner too
I believe he, & his son (Jake?), part-own a bike shop in Ferrybridge (or did???), almost in the shadow of the 1960's A1 viaduct, over the River Aire
And, it's on an old alignment of the Great North Road (pre-1900s?, I think)

https://jscycleshack.com/about-us/

Jake, goes out with a girl (or did?) who was my daughters PE Tutor, at her Senior School
Liz is a damned good rider herself (& triathlete), who has ridden the Womens Tour de Yorkshire a couple of times

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The new Holdsworth Cyclone looks fantastic too:

View attachment 370884

View attachment 370885

I don't much care for the black tape, saddle, cables and chain but my oh my, that is simply stunning!

Top Bottom