We can make cars so we can make bikes too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Spotted in bike shed at work last week. Now if cycle manufacturers built cars ,I wonder what the counterpart of this would be ⁉
V__90AA(1).jpg

Reactions: gbb
The 1980s Itera plastic bike was the result of a couple of clueless Volvo engineers imagining they could build a bike. Only bike in the world to have delayed-action steering (half a second either way as you torqued up the plastic bars and forks and waited for the resulting forces to work their way down to the wheel) Also a vibro-massage from the rim deforming between the wheel spokes, and this at a time when the BMX people had already worked out how to make a plastic wheel that remained circular . . .

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
KIA, if I recall correctly, made bicycles before they made cars. Lugs, spot welded in place, in one instance I saw.
I believe it was the 3000, here's a detail shot from the web, showing the rear dropouts on this little object of ecstasy.
kia-3000-road-bicycle-19387_2.jpg

noodle

I had a daewoo genius back in the mid 90's it wasn't bad tbh. Altus drive train mostly very good frame 7005 alloy and when stripped down bare it weighed a couple of ounces under 4lb some bad bits yes like cheap high tensile post stem bars and fork but for a few hundred quid at the time for a fairly upgradable frame I liked it a lot
So much so I'm in the process of buying one now to have as a knock about bike
Iirc I ended up all alloy and anodised blue stuff on it like shark bites and club roost bits n pieces

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
lbs was selling some poo-looking bikes branded as land rover a few years ago…

simonsch

McLaren make some pretty decent bikes. Of course, the label on them is Specialized, and they get raced by pros... (some guy called Mark Cavendish apparently)

noodle

On the metric front.
Wife wanted one of those old sit up and beg things. So we found a puch Toledo she liked paid the 50 quid required (she got a bit upset when she asked how much my Leyzne carbon pump was) got it home and started the check over
Guess who needs an af set of spanners?

Edit the offernsive European thing that flys in the face of the metric system, to be fair the pedals are 15mm and the brake cable nuts are 8mm
image_zpsyo27qku8.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom