We have a friendly garden Robin BUT!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
He started visiting in spring when he was very young. Would hop onto the chair or table and take bread from us.
For the past few years we have had regular visits from a Wagtail......sometime a pair. They stay around the pond for maybe 15 minutes....feeding on whatever Wagtails eat.
All good.
Now the Robin is fully grown he has decided he doesnt like Wagtails and as soon as they appear he comes from 'nowhere' and chases them off.
It's happen twice just this morning.
So although I like the Robin he has developed a nasty streak but just towards Wagtails.......other small birds are tollerated by him

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
He started visiting in spring when he was very young. Would hop onto the chair or table and take bread from us.
For the past few years we have had regular visits from a Wagtail......sometime a pair. They stay around the pond for maybe 15 minutes....feeding on whatever Wagtails eat.
All good.
Now the Robin is fully grown he has decided he doesnt like Wagtails and as soon as they appear he comes from 'nowhere' and chases them off.
It's happen twice just this morning.
So although I like the Robin he has developed a nasty streak but just towards Wagtails.......other small birds are tollerated by him
Robins are extremely territorial. They can be belligerent little beggars.:boxing:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Lovely things Robins, but as mentioned above very territorial. I believe they are known to kill other robins too.
We have had as many as 4 in the garden at the same time.....but thats in winter. Come spring only the boss is allowed in

potsy

Rambler
I had the opposite last year, the wagtail was chasing off the robin and any other bird that tried to eat 'his' food :boxing:

Top Bottom