We have setup a new club in Basingstoke.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
@ChrisHWB good luck with the new club. I've updated the website address in your first post with the new / working one.

As to the helmet issue - the suggestion has been made to Chris to reconsider the club's position on enforcing helmet use and allowing members to choose, and I'm sure he will take this on board and give it some thought, but this thread isn't the place for a helmet debate.

Chris (and friends) are making a new cycling club to encourage and support more cycling - let's support them in that. :okay:

Thanks,
Shaun :biggrin:

Citius

There is a misconception that British Cycling insist on helmets being worn - they don't, except for track-based riding.

Helmets are mandatory in any BC-sanctioned competitive event.

livpoksoc

Guru
Helmets literal and figurative aside, great news. The Oakley guys seem a friendly bunch. Just a shame the last two times I went to join them I had a chain issue within .5m of the car park and a spoke issue 3 miles in the next time so had to abandon both. New bike now and would love to come along whenever the next intro ride is :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
... I had a chain issue within .5m of the car park and a spoke issue 3 miles in the next time so had to abandon both. ...
Not the sort of club that will wait while people fix problems with their bikes, then? (My local group had someone buckle a wheel on yesterday's ride... they still completed... we're tough as nails around here... plus we have a couple of riders who are very good at fixing bikes :smile: )

livpoksoc

Guru
Not the sort of club that will wait while people fix problems with their bikes, then? (My local group had someone buckle a wheel on yesterday's ride... they still completed... we're tough as nails around here... plus we have a couple of riders who are very good at fixing bikes :smile: )

Nah, tbf I didn't know the route or area at the time so couldn't make an educated guess which turn they took to get back. The second time I told them I was heading back as the spoke issue was one for the lbs who screwed up when they 'fixed' it.

Reactions: mjr
Been introduced to cycling out your way by joining a nearby club. Our social rides on Saturdays are just that 14-16 mph. No-one left behind.

Top Bottom