We need a CCTV. What's best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I’ve got some Smonet cameras (from Amazon) that connect wirelessly to an NVR (network video recorder).

Easy to install.
Impressive picture quality (day and night).
2TB card in NVR records several months of continuous video from 3 cameras.
Good customer service.
Able to view remotely over the internet via an App.
No need to subscribe to an internet cloud service.

Dislikes:
Unable to disable built-in infrared LEDs. I would like to be able to use separate LEDs that don’t attract insects to the camera because you end up having to clean spiderwebs off the camera lenses regularly during summer. Also, I have one camera behind a window and the LEDs reflect off the glass at night.
The connector on the camera leads are too big meaning you need to drill large holes in the wall for the power cable.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Guess that's our fault. Plumber and I were pressed by Police to bring charges. But plod went down the usual CBA route of telling us that we would have to go to the station "now" to give statements. "Could take all afternoon" and then he went on about all the rigmarole of going to court etc.
We wanted to get the boiler in and the hole bricked up, which plod new.
Plus we still have to live next door to them and in the mistaken belief that it was a one off we just let it ride. We hoped that once he'd calmed down sanity would prevail. No such luck.
A week later he leant over the fence and turned a pressure washer on me. 3 days later he forcefully shoved our wheelie bin into my wife. All the while screaming and shouting obscenities at us.
They have lived here 6 years and the guy has never spoken to us till this. We are worried.
Sounds like a right fruit loop.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Police have read the riot act and told them to stay away from us.
I'm very surprised that you called upon the services of the Police, given your opinion of them. Just goes to show that those who are first to criticise are also first to run whining to them when they need help. That was always the case.....

Bent coppers? You bet.
It's not the job of the Police to make the law, but that doesn't stop them breaking it when it suits their purposes.
Bent coppers? Are there any that aren't?
I loathe the bent coppers we have in this country,
If only we had some coppers who weren't bent
Plod (bent, of course) said, quite bluntly, no camera- no crime.
So it's safe enough for the general public, but unsafe for those who are supposed to protect the general public.
More bent coppers.
How many more bent coppers are there?
Bent copper. Are they all bent, or just the ones who get caught?

I could go on, but the multi quote facility seems to have a limit on the number allowed.

I don't think installing a camera is going to be the answer. He has assaulted you, your wife and the plumber in the open. This after 6 years of calm. Drugs addicts don't act like this. It must be something that you did that you do not realise its severity. He is confronting you directly and it will get worse. No time to go the station to give a statement shows poor judgement. Follow thru with the Police and seek some kind of dialogue or intervention with the help of a neutral party and seek a compromise. At the very least get a court restraining or protection order.

Personally I don't think you can read human signals (EQ) based on your engagement in CC.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
191927494_2128888017251774_5941686658385575492_n.jpeg

^_^

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Jeez, I feel lucky! I have NEVER had problems with neighbours. Except one day when I was a kid, and a lad next door smashed his house up a bit on hearing his parents were splitting up. Never ever ever :smile: Been burgled twice 30 years ago when I lived in London, but I had nowt worth nicking anyway 😄

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
When I shared a flat in London 40-odd years ago, we were burgled. I lost a pair of pyjamas ...

Top Bottom