We need a CCTV. What's best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Our neighbours are XXXX. Constant harassment from them. At least three assaults in the past month. Police have read the riot act and told them to stay away from us.
We want to monitor the front and rear of the house. We don't think much will happen now, but it's a belt and braces job. So what is best for a simple, DIY system? I'd like it to record somehow, maybe up to 7 days in case we go away. Would be simpler if installed indoors pointing out through windows.
Is there a simple system that doesn't require miles of cable and power supplies/recording cables.
I know nothing of these things so can anyone help?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Budget ?

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Personally I am about to start buying in to the Eufy home security range. I already have a Eufy video doorbell and next on the list is a floodlight with camera. I have gone for Eufy because they do not force you until a subscription based price model in order to use all of their features. Instead, they supply a hub with 16GB internal storage so you can save all footage locally and overwrite as and when storage runs out.

If you're not wanting to go the IP based camera route, you might just want to look at Swann's off the shelf DVR solutions at somewhere like Screwfix: https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/cctv-systems/cat4530012?brand=swann

A customer of mine installed a simple Swann setup recently in his new business premises and for basic requirements I couldnt really knock it.

Hope this helps!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
indoor cameras pointing out are not really up to it as the inside of the pane can act as a mirror , we turned our indoor cctv pointing out when we has problems with neighbours and it did indeed it did catch them up to no good but that was in good daylight, at night all you can see is the reflection of the blinds off the window .

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Personally I am about to start buying in to the Eufy home security range. I already have a Eufy video doorbell and next on the list is a floodlight with camera. I have gone for Eufy because they do not force you until a subscription based price model in order to use all of their features. Instead, they supply a hub with 16GB internal storage so you can save all footage locally and overwrite as and when storage runs out.

If you're not wanting to go the IP based camera route, you might just want to look at Swann's off the shelf DVR solutions at somewhere like Screwfix: https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/cctv-systems/cat4530012?brand=swann

A customer of mine installed a simple Swann setup recently in his new business premises and for basic requirements I couldnt really knock it.

Hope this helps!
Thanks. The Swann system seems to be more or less what I'm after, except I don't understand the techy stuff.
Can I ask..do you know..
Does this just plug into mains, and then record on the unit? It says works with Alexa which we don't have.
How do I view images? Is it just via the Android App? Why does it need internet if it is wired?
Plenty more questions no doubt, sorry to be PIA. I've tried downloading the manual but the link is broken.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I have a Lorex system (wired). A 2TB hard drive gives me almost 9 days of continuous recording for six 4k cameras. Internet is required to view live recordings via my phone app.

If your cameras record beyond the boundaries of your property you will need to put signs up and you will need to consider your obligations with regards to GDPR.

There’s some useful reading here.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Thanks. Only recording on our property. Just want to protect ourselves.
I've just looked at Eufy stuff. The wire free feature appeals.
Thanks for the link. I'll read that after TDF.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
With regards to the Swan unit. I am assuming the HD recorder will be wired. The cameras will be wireless, and will require the internet to communicate with the HDR.

If you were to purchase an Alexa ‘view’ unit. You could assign names to each camera, and then ask ‘Alexa’ to ‘show me the front path camera’. This or you use a separate monitor to view your recordings ’live’ ( wired connection from HDR).

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Blink cameras would suit that purpose lovely. Setup the motion sensing and if necessesary private areas that won't trigger. Battery powered, 2years apparently. Mine will automatically order new ones from amazon when nearing end of life

Local backup to usb drive and cloud backup that isn't expensive.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/all-new-blink-outdoor-wireless-weather-resistant-hd-security-camera-with-2-year-battery-life-motion-detection-2-camera-system/dp/B088CX996D/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=blink&qid=1626381772&sprefix=blink&sr=8-1

carpiste

Guru
Forget CCTV!
Get one of these!

The added bonus is they can also go undercover.....

and they look incredibly cute as puppies ^_^

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Whatever you get. Do some research as to how clear the film and photos are in all light conditions in case you have to hand them over as evidence. The amount of times that you see cctv footage that is useless for purpose is quite alarming.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Can I ask..do you know..
Does this just plug into mains, and then record on the unit?

Yes, the DVR box has internal storage, this is the brains of the setup. Cameras will be wired back to the DVR or there may be wireless options from Swann, though I don't have personal experience of those if they exist

How do I view images?

Via a monitor, keyboard and mouse directly connected to the DVR unit, an app on your phone or via a web URL on any device on the network I believe

Why does it need internet if it is wired?

Because if you want to view images whilst away from home, internet access will be required to support this. Be aware that you may need a bit of configuration on your home router (port forwarding or DDNS) to allow you to communicate back to the DVR over the public internet.

Hope that helps!

Top Bottom