Wearing helmet on Sportive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
Rassendyll said:
Rubbish... have you ever worn a cycling cap ? It gives much better sun protection and shade. Modern helmets have so many holes in them I've come back with my head looking like a chess board.
And the peak on a proper cycling cap sits at the perfect angle to see the road but not the sun.

Ah well, I can't help it if you're a baldy :sad: I only get a little pink on the crown so pick my helmet style appropriately.
Besides, those peaked caps are horribly sweaty - no airflow through the hair - and you have to reverse them to go downhill at speed so they're useless for helping in sunny downhill conditions - just when you need good vision.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have two annual sportives on my door step, one insists on helmets so I don't enter it, the other lets you decide for yourself but you are not covered by their insurance if you choose not to.

Last year I was the only one to ride bare headed, and funnily enough the only one to come off too. My head was untouched, but I did wish they made knee helmets.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Garz said:
Haha found a fellow CC'er in clobber - 6472 suz archer!

Not forgetting: 6452 Helen Dowson

I give up trying to get anyone spell my name right, even when I write it on the damn form!

I was glad I got back on to ride past the camera, having walked pretty much all the way up!:biggrin:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Aren't sportives* for people who reckon they're fast, but aren't good enough to race? The helmet rules and the £25-40 entry fee are what keep me away; otherwise a brisk long organised ride seems like a good idea.

*shouldn't the singular be "sportif", since it's from the French "cyclosportif"?

Zoiders

rogerzilla said:
Aren't sportives* for people who reckon they're fast, but aren't good enough to race? The helmet rules and the £25-40 entry fee are what keep me away; otherwise a brisk long organised ride seems like a good idea.

*shouldn't the singular be "sportif", since it's from the French "cyclosportif"?
And they call me inflamatory.

:becool:

viniga

Guru
This seems to be moving rather off-topic. Perhaps those that don't actually want to answer the posters question could open a new topic on, hmm let's see:

• Whether a cycle cap is a good thing or not
  • Whether sportives should have a v in them
  • Whether people 'get' mass events or not
Rather than trolling?? Is this just the effect of any topic that has the word 'helmet' in it?

Rassendyll

Fiona N said:
Ah well, I can't help it if you're a baldy :laugh: I only get a little pink on the crown so pick my helmet style appropriately.
Besides, those peaked caps are horribly sweaty - no airflow through the hair - and you have to reverse them to go downhill at speed so they're useless for helping in sunny downhill conditions - just when you need good vision.

I'm not riding in the UK - I'm in the middle east :biggrin::ohmy: so baking sun and rivers of sweat are more than theoretical.

I find caps much better for taking the sweat away from your face - on a helmet it drips anywhere, but a cap takes it to the peak and drops it away. The only thing is that when it's more than the occasional drop coming down and you're riding at speed it tends to fly back in your face. The very best thing for taking sweat away is a Buff, which also covers the back of your neck from sun.

As for having to reverse a cap downhill, I've hit 89km/h wearing one the right way around, and never felt it was insecure.

Perhaps they're just better for baldies, or shavies, and those with more luxuriant bouffants are doomed to be capless.

Broadside

Guru
To get back on topic...

I did the Wiggle Jurassic Beast yesterday and the timing chips they use are disposable. They stick the chip on your cycle helmet, so without a helmet you don't ride. It's quite a neat system and allows them to enforce the helmet rule without any arguements.

Rip Van

Veteran
viniga said:
This seems to be moving rather off-topic. Perhaps those that don't actually want to answer the posters question could open a new topic on, hmm let's see:

Rather than trolling?? Is this just the effect of any topic that has the word 'helmet' in it?

+1:laugh:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
To get back to the question then, it's up to you...

Its a staggered start, the hills you know, it's not a race, though solty did get a speed wobble last year, so 'Tenna' pads may be of use? :biggrin:

Fiona N

Veteran
viniga said:

We're not trolling - we've just got bored of the OP's topic (Answer is: wear one if the rules say so, otherwise do what you fancy :biggrin:) and branched out as conversations tend to do amongst interesting folk :laugh:

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Thanks all. It's not compulsory:

'I understand and accept that the wearing of hard shell helmets complying to CE standards EN1078 shall be compulsory for riders under the age of 18. Riders over 18 are encouraged to do the same.'

I shan't be bothering.

Rip Van

Veteran
Fiona N said:
We're not trolling - we've just got bored of the OP's topic (Answer is: wear one if the rules say so, otherwise do what you fancy :tongue:) and branched out as conversations tend to do amongst interesting folk :sad:

:tired:Interesting?:biggrin:

Top Bottom