Wearing helmet on Sportive...

Bandini

I am doing a sportive for the first time this summer. I don't wear a helmet, and don't intend to on 'normal' rides.

But, without wanting to start a war between the pro and anti-compulsion factors, is it wise to wear one on sportives - the factors of: lots of other riders and the likelihood I will be going faster down hills has made me wonder.

Not a 100% sure, but I think some organised sportives insist on you wearing a helmet.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I don't usually wear one, but rode my first sportive last year and decided to wear one due to:
a) It was in the rules.
;) With over 1000 entrants, lots of hills and some cattle grids I thought the potential for a crash was higher.

Garz

Squat Member
The ones I have ridden in always insist you wear one to participate.. whether or not they enforce this rule I do not know.

TVC

Check the conditions on the website, on one I did last year a guy turned up without a helmet and they withdrew his entry on the start line.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
The Velvet Curtain said:
Check the conditions on the website, on one I did last year a guy turned up without a helmet and they withdrew his entry on the start line.
though you should bear in mind that, unless they have the roads closed, you can cycle where you want anyway:evil:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
ColinJ said:
True, but if do that then you can save your £25-40 since you won't be getting the timing chip or use of the feed stations in either case!
I know I think I just rail a bit at the idea of rules imposed that don't follow the law of the land. I haven't done an Audax or Sportive yet but my mental machinations, re future plans, are influenced by this sort of thing. I also have no interest in time stations, checkpoints and medals/certificates, I'd only bin the latter on the way home anyway.

I think I'm grumpy enough for either but not sure I've got enough of the 'taking part' spirit:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
No requirement for a helmet on an Audax, or at least not on the one I did....

Dunno about Sportives, I did wear mine for the Big G last year, but I've got out of the habit since. I'll wear it if I must though.

Fiona N

Veteran
I'd treat sportives like riding a track with beginners or like mountain biking - falls are more likely to be caused by other cyclists getting excited on the day and/or be at slow speed (on the uphills as people get tired) than by collisions with cars - thus helmet wearing might save you some skin. Plus if it's sunny, they do protect your head from sunburn and keep some of the sun out of your eyes :thumbsup:

Rassendyll

Fiona N said:
I'd treat sportives like riding a track with beginners or like mountain biking - falls are more likely to be caused by other cyclists getting excited on the day and/or be at slow speed (on the uphills as people get tired) than by collisions with cars - thus helmet wearing might save you some skin. Plus if it's sunny, they do protect your head from sunburn and keep some of the sun out of your eyes :thumbsup:
Rubbish... have you ever worn a cycling cap ? It gives much better sun protection and shade. Modern helmets have so many holes in them I've come back with my head looking like a chess board.
And the peak on a proper cycling cap sits at the perfect angle to see the road but not the sun.

That aside, to answer the OP, I would say that subject to the rules of the event, wear what you would normally wear. If you don't normally wear a helmet then having one on is more likely to make you feel uncomfortable or irritated, physically or mentally. I find them horrible and sweaty and very hot, and hate every minute I have to wear one when I do.

But sadly a sportive (unlike an audax) will probably compel you to wear one - they don't do anything for your head but they are very good at covering arses.

viniga

Über Member
Garz said:
The ones I have ridden in always insist you wear one to participate.. whether or not they enforce this rule I do not know.
+1 Done six different ones so far - in each case it was the rules.

ASC1951

Guru
MacB said:
I think I'm grumpy enough for either [audaxes or sportives] but not sure I've got enough of the 'taking part' spirit:biggrin:
I know what you mean. I don't see the attraction of driving 150 miles to ride round on public roads with a load of grumpy buggers that I don't know and paying £25 for the privilege. Especially if I had to wear a helmet.

Top Bottom