Wearing helmet on Sportive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

I am doing a sportive for the first time this summer. I don't wear a helmet, and don't intend to on 'normal' rides.

But, without wanting to start a war between the pro and anti-compulsion factors, is it wise to wear one on sportives - the factors of: lots of other riders and the likelihood I will be going faster down hills has made me wonder.

Not a 100% sure, but I think some organised sportives insist on you wearing a helmet.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I don't usually wear one, but rode my first sportive last year and decided to wear one due to:
a) It was in the rules.
;) With over 1000 entrants, lots of hills and some cattle grids I thought the potential for a crash was higher.

Garz

Squat Member
The ones I have ridden in always insist you wear one to participate.. whether or not they enforce this rule I do not know.

TVC

Check the conditions on the website, on one I did last year a guy turned up without a helmet and they withdrew his entry on the start line.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
The Velvet Curtain said:
Check the conditions on the website, on one I did last year a guy turned up without a helmet and they withdrew his entry on the start line.

though you should bear in mind that, unless they have the roads closed, you can cycle where you want anyway:evil:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
MacB said:
though you should bear in mind that, unless they have the roads closed, you can cycle where you want anyway:evil:
True, but if do that then you can save your £25-40 since you won't be getting the timing chip or use of the feed stations in either case!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
ColinJ said:
True, but if do that then you can save your £25-40 since you won't be getting the timing chip or use of the feed stations in either case!

I know I think I just rail a bit at the idea of rules imposed that don't follow the law of the land. I haven't done an Audax or Sportive yet but my mental machinations, re future plans, are influenced by this sort of thing. I also have no interest in time stations, checkpoints and medals/certificates, I'd only bin the latter on the way home anyway.

I think I'm grumpy enough for either but not sure I've got enough of the 'taking part' spirit:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
No requirement for a helmet on an Audax, or at least not on the one I did....

Dunno about Sportives, I did wear mine for the Big G last year, but I've got out of the habit since. I'll wear it if I must though.

Fiona N

Veteran
I'd treat sportives like riding a track with beginners or like mountain biking - falls are more likely to be caused by other cyclists getting excited on the day and/or be at slow speed (on the uphills as people get tired) than by collisions with cars - thus helmet wearing might save you some skin. Plus if it's sunny, they do protect your head from sunburn and keep some of the sun out of your eyes :thumbsup:

Rassendyll

Fiona N said:
I'd treat sportives like riding a track with beginners or like mountain biking - falls are more likely to be caused by other cyclists getting excited on the day and/or be at slow speed (on the uphills as people get tired) than by collisions with cars - thus helmet wearing might save you some skin. Plus if it's sunny, they do protect your head from sunburn and keep some of the sun out of your eyes :thumbsup:

Rubbish... have you ever worn a cycling cap ? It gives much better sun protection and shade. Modern helmets have so many holes in them I've come back with my head looking like a chess board.
And the peak on a proper cycling cap sits at the perfect angle to see the road but not the sun.

That aside, to answer the OP, I would say that subject to the rules of the event, wear what you would normally wear. If you don't normally wear a helmet then having one on is more likely to make you feel uncomfortable or irritated, physically or mentally. I find them horrible and sweaty and very hot, and hate every minute I have to wear one when I do.

But sadly a sportive (unlike an audax) will probably compel you to wear one - they don't do anything for your head but they are very good at covering arses.

viniga

Guru
Garz said:
The ones I have ridden in always insist you wear one to participate.. whether or not they enforce this rule I do not know.

+1 Done six different ones so far - in each case it was the rules.

ASC1951

Guru
MacB said:
I think I'm grumpy enough for either [audaxes or sportives] but not sure I've got enough of the 'taking part' spirit:biggrin:
I know what you mean. I don't see the attraction of driving 150 miles to ride round on public roads with a load of grumpy buggers that I don't know and paying £25 for the privilege. Especially if I had to wear a helmet.

Jaguar

Fiona N said:
falls are more likely to be caused by other cyclists getting excited on the day... they do protect your head from sunburn and keep some of the sun out of your eyes
True. They give me a headache though (any kind of hat does)

Rassendyll said:
Rubbish...
No, say what you mean :biggrin:

Top Bottom