Weather forecasting bah.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm, still not looking as good as promised, this warmer dryer weather keeps moving another 5 days away each day. Perpetual promises ?
Bike's are going to Wales tonight, better be good next few days. MrsF taking her hybrid this time - she's not used it since getting the squidgy bike (Full suspension). Hopes she remembers v brakes aren't quite as good as hydraulic discs. :bicycle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The best example I have of the difficulty of forecasting accurately & in an understandable way is from one running of my Kernow 600. The 4th leg was a return from Penzance to Bude. Forecast said showers. Wind was Southwesterly. Most riders arrived at Bude dry, some got a bit damp along the way. One rider arrived drenched, having ridden under a rain cloud all the way.
I did the Northwest Passage audax from Rochdale one year with a CycleChat member. We were told to expect dry conditions until our run back from Blackburn over a couple of big hills, when heavy rain was likely. We got to the top of one of the hills when my companion turned to me and said that the forecast was hopelessly wrong - if it had been right, we would be getting soaked. I pointed down the hill into the valley below - the rain was hammering down only 3 or 4 kms from us! I'm sure that the forecast was right for 90% of the area; we just happened to have climbed out of the rain zone.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sea weed hanging outside is the answer, if it is wet it is raining or just had done, if you get wet going outside to get a closer look it is still raining, or somebody has thrown water at you or squirted you with a hose.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Guaranteed sign that rain is imminent is when the farmers go muck spreading.
They pay for farming specific forecasts which are supposedly far more accurate than the ones we plebs get.
It's certainly an accurate pointer around here. It always rains the day after muck spreading.

Brandane

Legendary Member
On Saturday the whole week ahead was supposed to fair - tomorrow is rain all the way and Thursday up to 1pm is torrential.

Waste of time looking at forecasts.
They got today right :rolleyes: 🌧🌧🌧, lots of it!

Fram

P1010004.JPG

Berneray

Not a fan of their rural prediction. I know they say you got to knock of upto 3 degrees in rural areas but I have crashed when it was not supposed to drop below 4 degrees. Going down a bit of a hill speed up about midnight road looked a bit shiny. Stopped pedaling bike went from under me, no warning at all. Spikes on as soon as I see a 4 degree in the weather forecast. It hurt.

Top Bottom