Weather in September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We're currently considering changing the dates of the summer's tour from June to September to give my leg a bit longer to heal!! We'd either go last weekend August - last weekend Sept or first weekend Sept - first weekend October.

The only thing that worries me is the weather. The latter fortnight will be across Switzerland and Austria. I know you can NEVER rely on the weather, but has anyone got any words of wisdom about what the weather is likely to be in those countries at the back end of September/first week of October??

EmGee DK

From: http://www.wissenswertes.at/index.php?id=wetter-oesterreich-sep07
Mit dem September 2006 begann eine enorm warme Wetterphase, die in einigen Regionen Österreichs bis in den August 2007 angedauert hatte. Beispielsweise gab es im September 2006 Messwerte von über 33 Grad Celsius im Schatten. Diese Werte wurden im September 2007 nicht einmal annähernd erreicht.
Mancherorts konnten Temperaturen über 26 Grad erzielt werden, aber in vielen Orten Österreichs, besonders in den Alpentäler gab es keinen einzigen Tag in diesem September 2007, in denen die Tageshöchsttemperatur über 20 Grad angestiegen war.
Insgesamt liegt die Durchschnittstemperatur im Vergleich zum langjährigen Schnitt laut der Hohen Warte um 1-2 Grad unter den Normalwerten für September. Das zeigt sich auch bei den Sonnenstunden, die im Süden, in Kärnten, noch Normalwerte aufweisen, in Salzburg gab es nur 65 % der normal gemessenen Sonnenstunden.
Und dann wäre da noch der extreme Niederschlag, der vor allem den Osten Österreichs Anfang September betroffen hatte. Viele Orte, wie beispielsweise Lilienfeld in Niederösterreich, aber auch Lunz/See, Reichenau oder Mariazell erzielten absolute Niederschlagsrekorde, die in manchen Regionen Ostösterreichs auch zu Hochwasser geführt hatte.
Auffallend war, dass das Wetter im Westen weit trockener war, als in der Osthälfte des Landes. Insgesamt gab es aber auffallend viele Niederschläge und der September 2007 zeigte ein Wetter, das schon sehr stark an den Herbst erinnert und nur wenige Tage verdienten den Begriff "Altweibersommer", obwohl es diese schönen, warmen Tage sehr wohl auch gab.
So what they say is that the weather in Austria in september 2006 was hot to the extreme - up to 33 degrees. However the following year was somewhat cooler - in some Alpvalleys there wasnt even a day where the temperature reached 20 degrees. However some places enjoyed days up to 26 degrees. Actually the middletemperature was 1 to 2 degrees below the longterm middletemperature. To make matters worse the eastern part of Austria was hit by heavy rain however the western part was much dryer. Parts of eastern Austria had recordbraking rain and there were reported flooding too. All in all the weather of september 2007 showed much resemblence to normal autumn weather and only few days earned the term "Oldbagsummer" even though there were nice and warm days.

Old bag summer is the german term for Indian summer and bag in this context means woman. The term originates from oldgerman. They thought the wet spider webs you see on a beautifull late-summer morning looked like the hair of an old woman (grey and long). Strictly you may not need this particular piece of information - I just found it quite funny.

I didnt check Germany, but from my personal experience I wouldnt worry. It might get chilly in the evenings but I think you will get some pleasant day temperatures. However if the september 2008 is going to be anything like last year - make sure to bring your wetsuit.

Hope its usefull

EDIT: Well I got curious: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wissen/artikel/778/150407/

2007 war in Deutschland offenbar das zweitwärmste Jahr seit der Aufzeichnung des Wetters 1901.

Das bestätigte Gerhard Müller-Westermeier vom Deutschen Wetterdienst sueddeutsche.de.

It says: Germany experienced the second warmest weather since the start of recorded measurement in 1901. This was confirmed to sueddeutshce.de (german newspaper) by Gerhard Müller Westermeier of the German Weather Service.

So sunglasses and a wetsuit?!

I went down to med through germany and switzerland a couple of years ago at the end of september - weather was pretty good - except for big short duration thunderstorms in afternoons in alps - cold and very humid at night at altitude

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Austria in September really depends on your luck, it can be really great just past the full heat of summer (and it is a lot warmer there than in the UK) or it has been known to snow down to 1,500 m. Just go for it but be prepared for it to turn nasty, just like touring in the UK in September...

Ps you wouldn't want to be in Austria in June this year, it will be full of football hooligans...

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
One good reason we changed it to September ;)

Thanks for the advice everyone. It basically seems to be that it could swing either way (oo err) so one should be prepared!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
rich p said:
Scotland didn't make it, Jock...:sad:

Nor did England, much to the relief of my Austrian in-laws. Engalund supporters have a very bad reputation throughout Europe, unlike the tartan army...

Top Bottom