Weather question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Maz,

I use a dry lube and generally do it every wet ride - if it's been hammering it down on the way to work, I'll spray the chain with a light oil just to stop any surface rust/chase out water (I keep a spare lube at work). Then when back home, oily rag to wipe the chain off then re-lube. The 'wet' lubes stay on better, but attract a load of dirt, so will need wiping more often.

I also wash the bike off every wet ride - need locking up I do !!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Very wet here today.

Now yesterday, I got wet on the way in to work (it was raining then, too). Trouble is, my boss started asking me questions as soon as I arrived in the office, and then I got so engrossed in a task that I forgot to hang up my wet stuff to dry.

Come going home time, I had to climb back into clammy togs to go home. It was still raining, so it didn't matter once I was out, but its no fun putting wet stuff back on.

Today, my boss isn't in. And I've festooned the office and the nearest radiator in the corridor with steaming clothing.

Lovely...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
A lovely combination of damp patches and ice up in Edinburgh this morning. I don't think my nerves can take much more of this, as I struggle to stop the bike making a getaway from under me on black ice. I took to the main roads after one too many near-falls, only to have some worrying rear-wheel slides in traffic - since the roads turned out to be covered in ice patches too.

This when the temp was well above zero too.

To top it all, my rear disk pads have just worn down and barely worked this morning. Trying to slow down on ice using a front brake is a bit hairy, to say the least. Since tomorrow is supposed to be even colder, I may just get online and order some new pads tonight and keep the bike off the road until they've arrived and been fitted.

A workmate came in with some nasty road rash on his arm, knuckles and hip (plus a trashed watch-face and holed jacket) after hitting ice, and then an ambulance and police were dealing with a downed cyclist on the roundabout beside the Gyle Centre. Hope he/she is OK.

All in all, not the best or safest cycling weather here at the moment.

biking_fox

Guru
More cold and soggy feet here.

Clarke's Gtx shoes work well enough on the rain, but the wave from going through the flooded road overtopped them. Result wet feet, with the water now trapped inside the shoe by the Gtx. Not plesant.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
Very wet here today.

Lovely...

I managed to be walking between the new and old houses of some friends yesterday (they are in the process of moving), for the five minutes or so it chucked it down like a monsoon. Lovely. Wet jeans... Ugh... Especiialy when you have to get on your bike to ride home, and the wet denim clings..

bonj2

DLB said:
Everybody at work thought i was mad to cycle today, but rain equals no ice.I did get wet though (but not cold). My new altura winter vision gloves got soaked.
Does it? Because of cloud insulation? Surely though it has to have been raining for ice to form?

altura night vision gloves did you get - how are they? I've just bought a pair but haven't tried them yet

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
DLB said:
I was considering commuting by bike tomorrow as it looks like it's going to rain heavily in my area from ab0ut 3am onwards. This tends to mean there won't be any ice doesn't it? Or does it?

If i remember rightly my Geography teacher said the clouds act as a 'blanket' and so it doesn't get so cold. Or am i completely wrong?

If the ground was frozen for the week before it rain (the way it was here in December) then there is a risk of ice, but if there hasn't been a frost the night before, then there is no risk.

Cloud can act as a 'blanket' holding heat radiation from the ground in night (if it isn't frozen) and so can prevent a frost from occurring.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Arch said:
I managed to be walking between the new and old houses of some friends yesterday (they are in the process of moving), for the five minutes or so it chucked it down like a monsoon. Lovely. Wet jeans... Ugh... Especiialy when you have to get on your bike to ride home, and the wet denim clings..

Uncle Phil said:
*waiting for herd of slavering male cyclists to comment salaciously on prospect of Arch in clinging wet denim*

Monsoon rain being warm, were you also in a t-shirt Arch;):biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've had enough of this rain...that's it.....

One dry commute please ! I get to work dry, but it's all the blooming work with the bike for a OCD bike maintenance looney like me..... left it last night, and tonight - been squirted with lube - I'll wash it tomorrow..... argh !

Top Bottom