Weather websites for predicting my commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Well... ho ho... I looked on the raintoday site, which I liked a lot, and calculated that I could get to my elderly parents' house and back before the next downpour... Well I would have if they hadn't rambled on so much, and when I went to strap my basket on my bike I looked southwest and saw BIBLICAL ROILING CLOUDS in shades of pewter, slate and hellhound banking up in the direction of my village. FIngers of cloud reached threateningly down to the cowering earth and leaves fled chaotically in random gusts of wind. I leapt on my trusty steed, hood up and squashed under my helmet, hoping I wouldn't meet anyone I knew, and battled forth.

I got to within a mile of home when I hit the downpour, I just kept my head down and pedalled as fast as I could into the wind (I was of course proceeding in a southwesterly direction) and managed to get home before serious damage was done to the contents of my basket ("The Daily Ukulele: 365 Songs For Better Living"). Stepped across the threshold and howled like a lonely wolf.

It was terrific!

Waterproof now dripping steadily onto kitchen floor.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
BBC weather is pretty good but don't rely on the symbols. Use the map lower down the page and scroll forward through the day to see the rain patches moving around. You will often find the symbols say rain most of the day but the rain map shows you might only catch the edge of a cloudburst for just a short time and not actually when you are due to be riding.

Works for me :thumbsup:

+1 for BBC...the other app on my phone is awful...it's said before that it was going to be sunny and its been pelting down!

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I do find the best way to check if an app is any good is to look out of the window and see how far it is from what's on the screen!

Crankarm

Guru
Don't ever watch or listen to BBC weather forecasts as too unreliable and as for their TV graphics - waste of time. This site is good which I got a heads up from some one on here ages ago. It appears to use RAF and military weather station weather data. Really good for windspeed and direction. Also European forecasts as well.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

Then a pressure chart for whole of North Atlantic, Europe, Mediterrean and North Africa issued by MetOffice which is pretty good.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/bracka.gif

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Don't ever watch or listen to BBC weather forecasts as too unreliable and as for their TV graphics - waste of time. This site is good which I got a heads up from some one on here ages ago. It appears to use RAF and military weather station weather data. Really good for windspeed and direction. Also European forecasts as well.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

Then a pressure chart for whole of North Atlantic, Europe, Mediterrean and North Africa issued by MetOffice which is pretty good.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/bracka.gif

Coo! I love these! Especially the first one.

I agree about the BBC reports - you get your local one followed immediately by the national one, and I've found they often differ right there and then.

gazza_d

As I have my own weather station, I use Wunderground, they have decent forecasts, and data from local weather stations, both amateur and professional.

They have a very useful map (wundermap)with overlays for the local weather stations showing current temp and wind direction. they also have radar and sat overlays.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
As I have my own weather station, I use Wunderground, they have decent forecasts, and data from local weather stations, both amateur and professional.

They have a very useful map (wundermap)with overlays for the local weather stations showing current temp and wind direction. they also have radar and sat overlays.

Gazza that is also very coo-worthy. There is a bloke in our village with a weather station but it doesn't appear on the map, I guess he has to sign up for it or something and hasn't.

Very impressed that you have your own weather station. Mind you, could be a sign of bonkersness - our guy writes month-ahead forecasts for the parish mag, even he admits it's just guesswork. He thinks one of the BBC SE weather girls is the bees knees and we have a drinking game based on the number of times he gets her name into his column. I expect you're more rational and scientific!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I tend to use a combination of xcweather for wind and rainfall, raintoday for live radar and sometimes the Mountain Weather Information Service (MWIS) forecasts for an overview. The last one won't be useful for those who don't live near significant mountain areas though.

400_kr_mp_Weather_rock.jpg

Top Bottom