Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
If you say things with enough confidence people often believe you, but not on CC! Not often Vern is pulled up....

You missed the word allegedly....it wasn't a statement of fact. I do not consider myself pulled up. :thumbsup:

PK99

Legendary Member
They buy beer close to the expiry date, so get it cheap.

That used to be their business model (a win win win for producer, pub and drinker), but they are now so large I doubt they could get enough consistent supplies on that basis - i would think their buying power is now so large the discounts they can negotiate are significant.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Don't know about the meals in general but the breakfasts are great value. I have had them in several places around the country, and they always provide good food in good portion sizes and at good value.

A few months ago when attending my daughter's graduation in Sheffield we booked a hotel for a couple of nights, but opted out of breakfast as it would have added about £30 a day to our bill. I told my wife we could go to Weatherspoons instead but she wasn't keen at all having seen people drinking outside a number f their pubs over the years around 9 or 10 in the morning. I managed to persuade her and once she realised you could have a pot of tea with your full English rather than a pint of Stella she was very pleasantly surprised.

PK99

Legendary Member
And you have evidence to back up that allegation?
See post above................

No "allegation" about it. the business model was well known from the Wetherspoons set up - brewer was happy to discount beer within its consume by date to clear his cellar and avoid risking wastage, wetherspoons had large rapid throughput and a good distribution system

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
No "allegation" about it. the business model was well known from the Wetherspoons set up - brewer was happy to discount beer within its consume by date to clear his cellar and avoid risking wastage, wetherspoons had large rapid throughput and a good distribution system

Read and eat humble pie @Archie_tect :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
They have always denied that myth, in reality as long as it is served in date would it matter.
Also as we all know it is just not the beer that is cheap.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

It may well have been their start up model years ago - that would explain how they managed to get off the ground in a market that is struggling.
However, I very much doubt that is the case now.
They must have huge clout with the suppliers and therefore able to screw them into the ground price wise. They almost certainly deal direct with the brewers and therefore cut out the middleman.
If, as you claim, they are still selling beer on the expiry date, someone needs to have a word at Greene King brewery, as they must have been over producing IPA for the whole of the past year. :blink:
Somehow, I doubt whether Greene King's accountants would have let a situation like that arise. :headshake:

Do they also get all the smaller independent breweries to arrange, months in advance, to have loads of 'close to expiry' real ales available for their Beer Festivals?
I think not.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Foodwise, you get what you pay for in Weatherspoons. It's cheap but does the job. Always a great selection of guest ales at affordable prices (a bonus when you live in London). They're looking to open up affordable hotels as well, I think.

screenman

Legendary Member
We use a hotel in Staines when down south, breakfast is £16.95 Weatherspoons is 300 yards away and the breakfast in quality is as good, certainly the saving is worth the walk.

Top Bottom