Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hyslop

Veteran
I dont know about the rest of you,but one cost saving strategy evident in both the Carlisle outlets(W"spoon & Lloyds)and indeed on at least one occasion in The Union Rooms,Newcastle,is the apparent policy of turning the lighting down to a level such that the customers are drinking by Braille as it were.As the wall is lined with books,almost all in German and seemingly sourced from "60s East Germany,it often strikes me as funny as well as a pest....also,you cant see whom you are fighting!The decor in Lloyds is also a bit odd.Theres what one might term a "middle class"drinking area,all leatherette sofas and with leatherette cushion covers on the walls,and a more utilitarian,standing table area,all hard edges, for the rude mechanicals presumably,as if the division was between those who work seated and those who work at a bench.Looks quite odd.One thing though,it takes 2 staff less time to serve people in Lloyds than the 5 in the "spoons,and thats where you lose money,when the customers go elsewhere however good/cheap your beer.

screenman

Legendary Member
I don't eat fish and chips in a pub so wouldn't know cost

Many years ago, I had a lovely rack of ribs here http://www.damons.co.uk/lincoln/

My brother used to go fairly regularly having friends in Lincoln

Now that is a place I suffer when dragged along to a kids party or suchlike, it is very noisy and expensive nowadays.

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Nowt wrong with the food, i often wonder how they do the cheap steak night and a free pint, me and the wife love the chain, its also great for when you are working away from home and haven't the time to cook.
In a perfect world we would all be zillionaires and watch every move of the chef and have the origin of the ingredients explained in great detail.

I'd say that was close enough. I have two within 10 minutes, wouldn't eat in either!!

Last time I went in the burger was raw in the middle, so sent it back
Second one was the same, so that went back

When the third one was raw I asked for the manager who brought out a thermometer to prove it was cooked

Apparently my burger could not be raw (i.e.pink and uncooked) because it was the right temperature!

According to the manager my theory that cooking meant keeping an item at that temperature for a period of time was wrong!!!!!

As long as the burger was at temperature it was cooked

Took a refund and have not been back since

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You spoil them...

And they spoil me. My Chimera was discounted by a very generous amount and I rarely have to pay the ticketted price of of anything there.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Now that is a place I suffer when dragged along to a kids party or suchlike, it is very noisy and expensive nowadays.
+1. Ma and Pa Bollo live in Skellingthorpe (one roundabout up the A46 from Damons) and wince even at the mention of the place. It had some sort of reputation in the '80s but has been rip-off shizzle for decades.

MarkF

Guru
Not keen, I think you lower your expectations to match the price (I do), so crap food is "not bad" and pretty hard to grumble about considering the low cost. I have colleagues at work who are divorced and no longer cook, they just eat at Wetherspoons. I think it's good value, but, where's the pleasure really?

Has anybody drunk in a £ pub yet?
article-2626426-1DC46C4800000578-446_634x422.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Not keen, I think you lower your expectations to match the price (I do), so crap food is "not bad" and pretty hard to grumble about considering the low cost. I have colleagues at work who are divorced and no longer cook, they just eat at Wetherspoons. I think it's good value, but, where's the pleasure really?

Has anybody drunk in a £ pub yet?
article-2626426-1DC46C4800000578-446_634x422.jpg
Not come across 'Pound Pubs'.
Where do they operate?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Pound pub is in Atherton near Wigan. Standard commercial fare beer £1.50 a pint £1 a half.

Google is your friend but you'll probably end up in a Daily Mail link

Top Bottom