Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We've sampled Weatherspoons in several locations over the years. In summary: charmless, sanitised, corporate - not our bag.

My dad rates the Weatherspoons that he goes to by the temperature of the peas! There's one near him that has the air conditioning permanently just above freezing (exaggeration I know!) but he says that it spoils the peas - they never stand a chance

I have very limited experience, but I was pleasantly surprised when I met a friend there and was asked for '£2.50' for a pint, given that the going rate around here is about £3.80-£4.00. Then she came back with my change - £2.85 from a fiver. I'd misheard. It wasn't £2.50 - it was £2.15.

I'm gonna take a punt and say you met your friend there on a Monday.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Have you spent much time in Lincolnshire, non national normally means same or lower quality with a higher price.

Do not get me wrong as I will happily support the smaller business, but in this county they just do not try hard enough.

Classic example, local pub fish and chips £11.95 pint £3.60 neither very good and poor service. I could lists loads more.
Maybe a couple of exceptions tried recently, not too far from you. Had a decent enough meal and pint in the Butcher & Beast in Heighington on Christmas Eve.
Even better was the Bluebell in Tattershall Thorpe the previous Sunday: mains £8.95, two courses £10.95, three courses £12.95, all definitely produced in house, excellent quality and damn good value. Tom Woods Bouncing Bomb went down a treat; I think it was £3.15, but after a couple of those at 6% the memory is ever so slightly hazy.
Dear by Wetherspoon standards, but better than your local! :thumbsup:

I like the way that even though corporate, they still try and keep features of the local building and link to local history

Wetherespoons can be a history lesson!

Apparently Prime Ministers used to be from the Gentry and landed classes, so when Lloyd George ( a commoner) was selected then he had no landed seat to entertain dignitaries and heads of state away from the City

A deal was struck with Lord Arthur Lee of Fareham to give his country seat, and estate called "Chequers" and an endowment for its upkeep to a Trust

This house of peace and ancient memories was given to England as a thank-offering for her deliverance in the great war of 1914–1918 as a place of rest and recreation for her Prime Ministers for ever.

Incidentally although the term "Prime Minister" had been is use colloquially for many years the "Chequers Estate Act of 1917" is the first time the term ws used in an official legal document and technically was the first formal recognition of the title

... and all of that edification from pub!

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe a couple of exceptions tried recently, not too far from you. Had a decent enough meal and pint in the Butcher & Beast in Heighington on Christmas Eve.
Even better was the Bluebell in Tattershall Thorpe the previous Sunday: mains £8.95, two courses £10.95, three courses £12.95, all definitely produced in house, excellent quality and damn good value. Tom Woods Bouncing Bomb went down a treat; I think it was £3.15, but after a couple of those at 6% the memory is ever so slightly hazy.
Dear by Wetherspoon standards, but better than your local! :thumbsup:

Cheers the Butcher is indeed an exception, the Bluebell used to be dire.

AndyRM

XOXO
We've sampled Weatherspoons in several locations over the years. In summary: charmless, sanitised, corporate - not our bag.

Couldn't agree more. Got the presence, atmosphere and charisma of a damp sock. I'd rather pay a little more at a quality local than line the pockets of a faceless corporation, though I appreciate not everyone can.

There's one due to open on Wallsend high street, literally round the corner from Casa RM. It'll be interesting to see if they manage to undercut my favoured establishments, The Queens and The Anson.

F70100

Who, me ?

I absolutely agree. But, when you wind up in a town/city you don't know, you can conduct your research into the more genuine local gems whilst sampling a cheap pint or two.

Top Bottom