Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

The soul of a pub is your companions and the landlord. In Witherspoon's you cut out the idiot landlords. They also put real ale back in peoples mind where had been removed by big brewers. This created an increase in jobs in the brewing industry and forced big brewers to offer a better choice of beer.
[QUOTE 3447930, member: 259"]I'm not anti-Wetherspoons or anti-big business, but when a massive pub chain or a supermarket says they'll create 10,000 new jobs, they mean they'll get rid of 15,000 jobs elsewhere and create 10,000 new ones on their own terms. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
This is generally true and definitely true of supermarkets. But Witherspoon may have held back the demise of pubs by they way they have kept real ale in the public eye. One opened in Louth some years back I did not use it as I liked the Mucky Duck BUT the landlady was doing really well so the owners doubled the rent and the landlady immediately walked out. I have never been back, instead I thought I would give Wetherspoon a look in. As usual in Louth it was difficult to find. It was up a narrow alleyway (pawn shop alley if your looking for it). Very nice inside all new but unlike other Wetherspoons it does not appear to have the early morning shift of alcoholics, the midday shift of old folk are there all day. Not sure about night time as never been.
If I ever do go into Louth at night it won't be on the agenda even though my landlord recommends it! The Gas Light (all lighting is gas) if I can find it. I have tried in daylight but haven't succeeded or My Fathers Mustache supposedly it is much improved but mainly because I like the name!

Last edited:

brand

I expect Wetherspoons also changed the attitude of a lot of breweries. Both Holts and John Willie Lee would regularly send out beer which was actually already off (sour) and when the Landlord complained they refused to replace it and told them to sell it. Now they replace it without argument another product of Witherspoon existence.

brand

Theyre ok, not great. Completely soul less
If you went in with some friends you might not notice. I believe there is an internet site where you might find some. They will be just like you ie looking to throw negative statements into a conversation and then walk away.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
If you went in with some friends you might not notice. I believe there is an internet site where you might find some. They will be just like you ie looking to throw negative statements into a conversation and then walk away.
Perhaps you could give him the address of the charm school you went to?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The soul of a pub is your companions and the landlord. In Witherspoon's you cut out the idiot landlords. They also put real ale back in peoples mind where had been removed by big brewers. This created an increase in jobs in the brewing industry and forced big brewers to offer a better choice of beer.

This is generally true and definitely true of supermarkets. But Witherspoon may have held back the demise of pubs by they way they have kept real ale in the public eye. One opened in Louth some years back I did not use it as I liked the Mucky Duck BUT the landlady was doing really well so the owners doubled the rent and the landlady immediately walked out. I have never been back, instead I thought I would give Wetherspoon a look in. As usual in Louth it was difficult to find. It was up a narrow alleyway (pawn shop alley if your looking for it). Very nice inside all new but unlike other Wetherspoons it does not appear to have the early morning shift of alcoholics, the midday shift of old folk are there all day. Not sure about night time as never been.
If I ever do go into Louth at night it won't be on the agenda even though my landlord recommends it! The Gas Light (all lighting is gas) if I can find it. I have tried in daylight but haven't succeeded or My Fathers Mustache supposedly it is much improved but mainly because I like the name!
Real ale had made a resurgence long before Weatherspoons reared its corporate head and forced many of the smaller pubs to close as they could not compete on price, the smoking ban put the kibosh on a bunch more.

screenman

Legendary Member
Real ale had made a resurgence long before Weatherspoons reared its corporate head and forced many of the smaller pubs to close as they could not compete on price, the smoking ban put the kibosh on a bunch more.

And the rent rises, insurance rises, in fact all over head rises, a landlords inability to change, well loads more. There are pubs around here and the landlords tell us they are busier since the smoking ban. Surely in business it is better to cater t the majority, for example the non smokers.

brand

brand, have you been to the one in Louth yet, we did before the break, nicely done out.
As above. Very nicely done out. But not really for me although I would have to go at night to be certain.

U

User169

So did anyone get to try the Adnams/Kimmich collaboration that Spoons had earlier this year? All seemed a bit odd to me: get the hottest US brewer over to Adnams, brew a US style IPA and then serve it on cask.

brand

It is rather obvious what is causing the demise of pubs and that is the supermarkets ultra cheap alcohol. Wetherspoon have at worst had a very minor part to play in it.

brand

And the rent rises, insurance rises, in fact all over head rises, a landlords inability to change, well loads more. There are pubs around here and the landlords tell us they are busier since the smoking ban. Surely in business it is better to cater t the majority, for example the non smokers.
You never said what the pub which used to be called the Bard is like?

Top Bottom