Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Whilst they get knocked a lot, I met a mate up in town last night, at the Knights Templar. It's a super old building, former bank I think, repurposed to be enjoyed.
Decent Doombar at under £4, which for central London is a bargain, even more so with curry and pint for £9 or £10 deal. And whilst the food is freezer to microwave, it was a perfectly decent plate of grub.
Plus you can sit at your table and order on the App, which was a thing for them pre covid.
I'm not a fan of the potty mouth owner, but they do run a decent pub.
Oh and it was good to catch up with an old mate.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have been in a Weatherspoons once as a friend wanted to meet there.

Otherwise I would never willing use one as I've no wish to line Tim Martin's pockets. A contemptible individual.

Last edited:
Whilst they get knocked a lot, I met a mate up in town last night, at the Knights Templar. It's a super old building, former bank I think, repurposed to be enjoyed.
Decent Doombar at under £4, which for central London is a bargain, even more so with curry and pint for £9 or £10 deal. And whilst the food is freezer to microwave, it was a perfectly decent plate of grub.
Plus you can sit at your table and order on the App, which was a thing for them pre covid.
I'm not a fan of the potty mouth owner, but they do run a decent pub.
Oh and it was good to catch up with an old mate.
Yes it is a fine building saved - have peered in, though never drunk there.
They have saved many other fine buildings as well - my local spoons is a listed building. And dubbed by the esteemed "deserter" blog, who knows about such things "one of the finest booze altars we've ever seen".
Must admit to being bemused by your choice of Doom Bar though - am afraid I see at as a minor triumph of marketing - tis the season of winter and christmas ales tomo :smile: Surely must have been some on?

For breakfast beers after night rides from London, their Brighton boozer hits the spot.

Best to steer clear of the Eggs Benedict though.
is that the one near the marina?
You used to be able to sit closer to the water - a fine spot on a sunny day. Was possible to imagine you were in the south of France - though with far far better beer.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
is that the one near the marina?
You used to be able to sit closer to the water - a fine spot on a sunny day. Was possible to imagine you were in the south of France - though with far far better beer.
No, it was the one near the station, making it possible to wobble to a train a bit later. The one near the marina would have been a challenge.

No, it was the one near the station, making it possible to wobble to a train a bit later. The one near the marina would have been a challenge.
I recommend it for a future visit - once you hit the prom you are away from the traffic most of the way. Apart from my odd visit in sunnier times I once rode through the night London to Brighton through torrential rain and dried my socks near its fire as i had a full english and strong beer. A pub for all seasons. I don't know the other Brighton ones - I assume the one near the station is one of theirs that looks like a shop conversion from the outside - I may have passed it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I recommend it for a future visit - once you hit the prom you are away from the traffic most of the way. Apart from my odd visit in sunnier times I once rode through the night London to Brighton through torrential rain and dried my socks near its fire as i had a full english and strong beer. A pub for all seasons. I don't know the other Brighton ones - I assume the one near the station is one of theirs that looks like a shop conversion from the outside - I may have passed it.
I won't have a bad word said against "my" Brighton Wetherspoons! They let twenty riders lean their bikes inside against the bar at breakfast time. Under the circumstances, the CEO's politics didn't seem to matter.
BTW, it looked more like a large bank than a shop.

The big central town ones are often good pubs in historic buildings.
It the ones in small towns and suburbs that you need to watch. They attract the wrong type of customer drawn in by the cheap booze.
an intereresting take beebo :smile:
Bloody suburbs :smile:
am not entirely sure that this it is a hard and fast rule though - one of my favourites is in a northern small town - in fact so small I am surprised it's there (maybe they have very good market researchers). It's in an old building, probably an ex pub/hotel, in the high street.
It's great for strong beers, thoughtfully puts all the strong stuff on one side of the bar so I know where to go, but also has a very diverse clientele with lots of families.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was in Pwllhelli with a couple of friends recently and had a quick beer in the local Spoons

There was a Welsh Beer Festival promotion on. The price?

Go on....have a guess

No, less than that......

.....£1.29

It must be thirty years since I've had a beer at that price. Once you strip the VAT and Duty out the economics are interesting

Brandane

Legendary Member
Our local Wetherspoons is fine, no complaints.
My only issue with them in general is that they can and do suck the life out of nearby pubs, resulting in them closing down. Other factors may be involved, but since the 'spoons opened a few years ago, about 3 other pubs have closed and others are struggling.
Such is life in a competitive market though. If a Travelodge was to open up nearby, I suspect some of the bed and breakfasts would go under too. People like to know what they are getting, and that is what Wetherspoons (and Travelodge) are good at.

Top Bottom