Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was in Pwllhelli with a couple of friends recently and had a quick beer in the local Spoons

View attachment 621370

There was a Welsh Beer Festival promotion on. The price?

Go on....have a guess

No, less than that......

.....£1.29

It must be thirty years since I've had a beer at that price. Once you strip the VAT and Duty out the economics are interesting
fine brewery - I had something wonderful from them recently in a London spoons.
I can beat your £1.29 though with a Jaipur (wonderful beer if served properly) for 99p.
(though that was during the just pre-shutdown period because of the god-given plague when they were just shifting stock)

Nothing snobbish about it. It’s a good pub with good selection and not bad food. Won’t ever go again as the owner doesn’t deserve my money.
that's your choice, but it is very definitely nothing much but pure snobbery from many.
Folks who have never shown the slightest concern for politics/ethics/human rights or whatever suddenly declare that they are on a holy war.
Their snobbery is transparent - not hard to see.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The big central town ones are often good pubs in historic buildings.
It the ones in small towns and suburbs that you need to watch. They attract the wrong type of customer drawn in by the cheap booze.
Yep although I'll paraphrase what an old Landlord mate said "At least they're not coming in my pub" mind you he (Mark Kershaw) got out of the trade a couple of years later when M&B turned over a lot of their pubs to 'Punch Taverns':ohmy:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've used them on my visits and they've always been very good.
As for shutting down the opposition isn't the pub trade in general going down the plug hole? So any attempts to save it should be lauded.
I guess they're the Marks and Sparks of the trade, you know what you're getting and a reasonable level of quality is guaranteed, a winning formula in most people's book.

As for shutting down the opposition isn't the pub trade in general going down the plug hole? So any attempts to save it should be lauded.
I guess they're the Marks and Sparks of the trade, you know what you're getting and a reasonable level of quality is guaranteed, a winning formula in most people's book.
yep you can't blame spoons for the severe problems of pubs - very sad - they have been closing at a terrible rate for years - I used to lead lots of rides which always sought out a good pub with good beer (only very rarely did we end up at a spoons, partly because of the territory) but many of my favourites closed or to survive ended up pretty much becoming restaurants.
Very sad - pub closures are changing the nature of the country.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nah they're the 'Primark' of the pub trade.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'll use them if necessary (= walking or cycling long-distance). At one time AUK used to meet in a Birmingham one, which wasn't too bad. But I have some terrible food in them (and some reasonably edible). I won't use the one in this town. And Tim Martin is a clown.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
they can and do suck the life out of nearby pubs, resulting in them closing down.
Yes that's my main issue too. I've got a lovely pub near me, it's always had a following (it's in the Camra good beer guide) but since Wetherspoons opened in town 5 years ago it's often quieter these days because drinkers can get beer cheaper over there. It does make me feel for the landlord and his superb staff. I think I'm on record as saying I'll put my money in independent pubs every time given the choice, but I have used Wetherspoons when there's not a lot else around. As this is an "in praise of" I'll not list my many issues with 'spoons or bang on about them being my pub of last resort, so I'll just mention the few positives I find:

1. Architecturally they tend to be in some nice buildings, so having a Wetherspoons in your town is better than having a deserted empty shell, or a demolition to make way for another Tesco Metro.
  2. The app is very good and saves you having to mix with the ejectees of the Mos Eisley cantina at the bar (where that's an issue). So the table service works well and that is a plus.
  3. It is cheap, which I suppose is a good thing if you're not too flush, though you'll need to put out of your mind why the food is so cheap, what their supply chain looks like in terms of conditions, wages etc.
  4. It's consistent, I suppose that can be a plus if you like your pubs to be offering the same thing, at least you know what you're getting.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My local in Orpington is pretty dire. It needs a good refurbishment. I really detest the owner, but, I do like the staff in there, they are very organised, good service and work very hard. Stamping out on any sort of trouble immediately. I like to think my money goes in their pockets.
Recently @nickyboy they've had a mid week promotion. Ruddle's Pint for a pound. I'm not a eurofiz drinker, so happy days.
To put into perspective. I was in Waterloo last night. A pint Of Camden Pale Ale £5.95.

@Blue Hills The Spoons on the Marina. last time I was there, they had built another building obscuring the marina view which is a great shame.
The other Brighton Spoon's frequented by us FNR's is the Bright Helm in West Street.

I think my favourite Spoons is the Peter Cushing in Whitsable. A converted cinema. They've done a stunning job. Well worth a visit. They even kept the original projectors which are on display.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never had bad food in one and good beer at sensible prices.
Some snobs just love to knock them ...

They are fine for a couple of reasonable priced beers and food that's quick and edible. It's now't fancy but it's cheap.

I don't go in them often, but will use them to meet up with either the Mrs or friends. Some are better than others. In Manchester City Cente we've about 5. The one to avoid is the one on Piccadilly Gardens - rough. The Paramount is fine on Oxford Road, lots of office folk (modern building though). Moon under the Water is an old cinema, looks great, but can be a little rough late evenings. The Waterhouse on St Peters Square is OK. Then there is one other in The Print Works - never been.

If you've not booked a meal anywhere, then they are fine for fast service.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
. A pint Of Camden Pale Ale £5.95.

Looks like Manchester has caught up - it would be 6 :laugh:. Or 6 for a scooner (2/3rds) in Northern Quarter - they just use 'numbers' now, no ££'s. I'm in NQ tomorrow before Madness concert, so I'm expecting a few shocks - £15 for a steak pie and chips in a pub, not restaurant.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes it is a fine building saved - have peered in, though never drunk there.
They have saved many other fine buildings as well - my local spoons is a listed building. And dubbed by the esteemed "deserter" blog, who knows about such things "one of the finest booze altars we've ever seen".
Must admit to being bemused by your choice of Doom Bar though - am afraid I see at as a minor triumph of marketing - tis the season of winter and christmas ales tomo :smile: Surely must have been some on?
Wasnt a big choice Mr Hills. Doombar, spitfire, Greene King or something called Wandle. I'm not a big fan or dark / ruby ales anyway. Give me something around 4% that's light and hoppy or a Guinness and a I'm happy, but not something in between, particularly if its 6.5% and tastes of mince pies:laugh:.
You know where you are with a Doombar and it was well kept, although I take your point on it MC marketing triumph, although I think its still brewed down in cornwall. I do generally favour an "independent" brew.

My local in Orpington is pretty dire. It needs a good refurbishment. I really detest the owner, but, I do like the staff in there, they are very organised, good service and work very hard. Stamping out on any sort of trouble immediately. I like to think my money goes in their pockets.
Recently @nickyboy they've had a mid week promotion. Ruddle's Pint for a pound. I'm not a eurofiz drinker, so happy days.
To put into perspective. I was in Waterloo last night. A pint Of Camden Pale Ale £5.95.

@Blue Hills The Spoons on the Marina. last time I was there, they had built another building obscuring the marina view which is a great shame.
Damn got worse then and clearly a while since I have been there. Last time I was there it was just that their outside seating was no longer up against the overhang of the marina, pushed back for reasons I can't remember - if you want spoons and water, actually open sea, I suggest their glory in ramsgate -easy ride for someone like you.

Drago

Legendary Member
Plastic food, plastic decor, can see little to recommend it.

I once got refused service because I didn't look 18. I was 44 and had a full beard and male pattern baldness, but it was just the excuse I needed to make our little group go somewhere else less crap.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I usually meet up with my mate about once a year in the Exeter St Davids branch. Very speedy service, order from your table, cheap food and drink, well organised security and a very good one-way system for C-19. I've never had a bad meal there and never had to complain about anything. It is massive though, but the tables are now well spaced so it's not really an issue. I've been in the city centre one before in Plymouth and it does get rammed.

Top Bottom