Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
You got to grudgingly admire Tim Martin’s ruthlessness in business and his excellent grasp of a layperson’s mind. He refused to pay his staff and suppliers while other big and small pubs did. Has a knack for picking location and doing up iconic buildings that they become ready landmarks for meetings (branding). Operating model is a focus on efficiency and technology while never claiming to be purveyor of good food or even alcohol.

Master of brinkmanship when it comes to knowing his customers.
Hes the Jim Ratcliffe of hospitality, but those who would denigrate Ratcliffe are more than happy to patronise Martin's business. Very strange.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I take it you are not a customer? Not sure why, but, that pleases me. ;)
The Rawson Spring's a good meeting place and starting point for the Vale of Ale pub crawl which actually takes in some decent pubs, but that's about it.

I know at least one pub (Samuel Smiths I think), in North Shields, which ban electronic devices (phones, tablets, e-readers).
Are you allowed to read a paper?
What about any children in there? Is there a list of stuff they can't do as well?
(I used to go in a Sam Smith's in London (lyceum mentioned above) but would have been before this odd outbreak of Yorkshire puritanism)

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Are you allowed to read a paper?
What about any children in there? Is there a list of stuff they can't do as well?
(I used to go in a Sam Smith's in London (lyceum mentioned above) but would have been before this odd outbreak of puritanism)
Puritanism lol....pretty far from that.I can't recal seeing kids in there.As I said above why wouldn't you be allowed to read a newspaper ? Last time I looked it's not a electronic device.

Adam4868

Guru
Er well why not read something you don't have to bin? Am struggling to find the Yorkshire logic in all this.
I eventually went off Sam Smith's bitter anyway so I'm ok, can do my Bible reading elsewhere.
Your right I can just picture my local with everyone sat reading their tablets/e readers...
I don't own one and still buy a newspaper.How old school am I !
Edited to add I usually go in for a bit of peace and quiet,I can find someone to talk to if I want.I don't want to go for a meal in there nor do I want to watch people eating a meal or come out smelling like I've been in the local greasy spoon !
Each to their own though I guess.

Last edited:
@Dirk
Why has the title of the thread you started changed?
For a mad moment I thought there were two threads on this.
All very odd indeed.
Can you or someone enlighten me?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
@Dirk
Why has the title of the thread you started changed?
For a mad moment I thought there were two threads on this.
All very odd indeed.
Can you or someone enlighten me?
It appears to have been merged with an old thread.

It appears to have been merged with an old thread.
Ah,now I see that Dirk's initial post is very old.
Who started the thread called I am sure (unless my head has gone) "in praise of W----" which was a new one I think and which I have been replying to?
And if there were two, one older, on similar topics, why merge them? As the old one would have been buried anyway.
All damn odd if not suspicious.
Are all the threads on
Brakes, wheels, mechs etc going to be merged into one great worm?
Is cycle chat about to disappear up its own fundament courtesy of some wierd backroom tinkering?

Alex321

Veteran
Why would anyone in any pub object to you reading? *Am intrigued. Agree with the drift of your post which I take to be that spoons tend to be easygoing and non judgemental while maintaining basic security. Basically the sort of places you can wander in and just be, no need to fit in with anything.
* My local spoons has a few readers, even a writer/playwright.
Note he said "on my Kindle or phone". There are some pubs where use of electronic devices is frowned on, or even banned.

So I suspect it isn't the reading that would be objected to, but doing it on an electronic device. That may even be a general Sam Smiths policy, because the pub I know in Cardiff Bay with the same policy - The Waterguard - is also a Sam Smiths pub.

Alex321

Veteran
Not much love for Tim Martin on here.

I suppose he's committed that uniquely British offence - being a success.

Twice, in his case, making him a serial offender.

It isn't just that though. It is things he has said and done. Particularly his actions at the start of lockdown, when he initially refused to close, then said his staff wouldn't be paid until he actually received the furlough money.

But many (including me) , while thinking him pretty obnoxious, don't see that as good enough reason to boycott the chain.

Top Bottom