Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Agree.
To what end?
Have wierd representations been made?

Is this a Sam Smiths plot to discourage electronic reading?

I look forward to finding tomorrow that the entire forum is a single thread.

maybe I'll hop to page 9 to try to make sense of this jumble.

edit - aha - thanks paul - page 8 ends in december 2014 and on the beginning of page 9 we have the post by @T4tomo that was the start of this just this morning under the heading I think

"In praise of wetherspoons"
bizarre actions from the moderators? must have been a slow day in the office for them :laugh:

The havent even had the good manners to message me to tell me that they've messed about with my thread?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
3FB0C83C-857B-4550-9D60-11F71564E07B.jpeg

bizarre actions from the moderators? must have been a slow day in the office for them :laugh:

The havent even had the good manners to message me to tell me that they've messed about with my thread?
In praise of Wetherspoons
morning tomo :smile:
apologies for, in my mind-bent confusion, crediting someone else with starting your thread.
Yes an explanation would be nice and polite - and a message to you - would take far less effort than all the digging and mixing.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Can we give the moderators a break? This isn’t a Nobel prize piece of literature. It’s a thread about a tawdry chain of pubs.
Absolutely agreed, although I'm finding it quite amusing for reasons best kept to myself.

I haven't read the whole, now merged thread, but it might be interesting to examine attitudes towards said pub chain both pre and post 2016, don't you think?

Rocky

Hello decadence
Absolutely agreed, although I'm finding it quite amusing for reasons best kept to myself.

I haven't read the whole, now merged thread, but it might be interesting to examine attitudes towards said pub chain both pre and post 2016, don't you think?
I don’t think we need to go any further than Vern’s post on the first page. This says it all for me….and the last Spoons I was in didn’t even sell absinthe

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm suprised there's so much confusion around the rulez 🙄
View attachment 621453

You could quite easily treat your device the same way as a fag and go in the doorway or smoking area out back.Its not actually as big a deal as it's being made out to be.
No mention if Whippets and flat caps are compulsory though. :laugh:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Good. Sam Smiths company policy is frequently and rigidly enforced by their boss Humphrey Smith who has been summarily dismissed a number of landlords for not enforcing the rules. I’d rather miss a text than put someones livelihood and home at risk.

The pub in question is actually called "The Prince of Wales", but, is known locally at "the Wooden Dolly". It has a superb interior, which appears to be "original" from early 1900's, coal fires, etc etc. I haven't been in since before the Covid pandemic started, I do hope it has survived lockdown etc. Our little "drinking club" of six or so young men of 70+, have no difficulty with leaving our electronic gadgetry in our pockets whilst in there ;)

Mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, not everyone can do without their mobile phone ;)

If ever you are in the area, I recommend a visit ;)

Alex321

Veteran
Neither of those articles say that he or Wetherspoons refused to close pubs.
Neither does the wiki entry - see the source it quotes.

We still live in some form of democracy - folk can put forward alternative views/make cases to public and government.

More careful reading called for I think - tho maybe not in a Sam Smiths.
You are clearly jsing a different definition of "refused' to most.

At that time, the recommendation was that pubs should close. Most chauns did. He said no, we aren't going to.

If you think that isnot refusing, fine. But I disagree, and I believe most others would as well.

Alex321

Veteran
If it was only a recommendation, rather than a requirement, then there was nothing to refuse. He may have declined to comply with the recommendation, nothing more than that.
Declined/refused Semantics. In the congext of not following recommendations, de line and refuse are pretty well synonyms.

It was certainly portrayed at the time as a refusal.

Adam4868

Guru
So the ban includes even RECEIVING texts? Unless folk switch their phones off that's going to happen isn't it? Visions of some poor bastard getting a beep in his pocket and immediately being frogmarched to the door and thrown in the street.
No phones simple....how do people go on when at the cinema/theatres ?
Can you give us some examples of the sparkling conversation in this local sam smiths?
Birds and football usually 🙄 Unless I'm with my partner then it could be art or when are you going to decorate that house like you promised !
*By the by - factoid learned from a nice chap I got nattering to on my bike near Blackpool's north pier - Oscar Wilde addressed folk in the Yates Wine Lodge which sat opposite for years. (later burned down)
Lovely pub Yates in it's day...was a real landmark.Its been replaced with a hotel now,think it's a Premier inn or similar.
It was arson they caught the bloke that did it.Sad as there was a animal shop,vet next to it full of animals that burnt to death.Everyone knew that place when young,I used to go to look at the animals.
On a plus side at least it wasn't rebuilt and became a Wetherspoons 😁

Top Bottom